1

The radio was on and for the first time in seven years, it wasn't a Celina Warbeck classic crackling out of the speakers.

Clarke Griffin stared out the window of a beat-up Honda Civic, shoulders tense and hands balled into a fist so tight her short nails were cutting half-moons into her palms. It was a tradition for her family to make the journey to King's Cross in muggle transportation. It wasn't a tradition for her mother to be the one driving, though.

Clarke winced as her mother stomped on the gas. The car roared as they launched out of the roundabout. A few cars honked loudly when they cut them off and Clarke's heart was in her throat; she glanced at her mother, who was clutching the steering wheel so firmly her knuckles had gone stark white.

Clarke opened her mouth to say something, but closed it a second later. There was nothing she could say to make Abigail Griffin feel any better. Clarke's father was supposed to be driving today, and he wasn't, and there was nothing they could do about it.

Later, when Clarke was steering her trunk down the station, her snowy owl hooting softly in his cage, she joked to her mother that she was going to throw a Weasley and leave school on broom back with fireworks bursting behind her. Her mother laughed, and the awkward tension between them melted away just like that.

They chatted about various Hogwarts traditions as they walked. There was a strange twinkle in Abby's eye during this discussion; Clarke wondered what had her mother looking more excited than she had in months, but before she could ask, a familiar voice rang out, carrying over the hustle and bustle of the crowd.

"Clarke! Mama G!" Raven Reyes was standing near the platform waving at them. Clarke and Abby crossed the station to her, muggles weaving their way around them so they didn't run into the massive suitcase Clarke was pushing.

"Good journey?" asked Raven once they reached her.

Clarke glanced at her mother warily out of the corner of her eyes; Abby had her hands clasped before her, a sign of her frayed nerves. Clarke was grateful she had decided to Apparate back home rather than take the car.

"Yeah," said Clarke lightly, resisting the urge to stare at her mother again. "You?"

Raven shrugged. "You know, the usual." A corner of her mouth tugged up. "Always glad to be back home." She drew her trolley up next to Clarke's. The three women warily glanced around before they headed toward the wall and turned their backs to it. "Kinda depressed that this is our last year, though," admitted Raven.

Clarke nodded glumly. "I know. It's weird to think next year we won't be here to meet the train..."

The three casually leaned back and the station disappeared for a moment as they sank into brick and stone; then they stepped backwards into the broad expanse of the Hogwarts Express platform, steam blanketing the air above.

"Don't be sad over your last year just yet," said Abby, a mysterious smile appearing on her face again. It was just like the one she'd had when Clarke was discussing Hogwarts traditions with her earlier. "You have an exciting term ahead."

"What do you know that we don't?" Clarke asked, her eyes narrowing suspiciously. Raven followed suit, squinting at Abby.

Abby shook her head, putting a hand on Clarke and Raven's backs to usher them toward the train. They loaded their luggage at the back as Clarke persisted in her questioning.

"What's happening? Does it—" She swallowed, unable to get her next words out; does it have to do with Dad?

Her mother seemed to realize what Clarke wanted to say, because her smile faded a little and she shook her head. "It's all Hogwarts, honey. It's very big. I'm actually a little jealous," she added somewhat wistfully.