necklace

„I really like your necklace", the child said. I took the little cross between my fingers. "It is beautiful, isn't it?", I confirmed. "No, not this one, the other one", the young girl said and pointed to my neck. I was confused. I was only wearing the cross necklace. As if she saw my confusion she said: "The one with the pentagram." I took a step back from her. What was she talking about? It was right, that I had a necklace with a pentagram but I hadn't worn it since my sister's death almost two years ago.

"I'm not wearing a pentagram necklace", I said to the girl. "Yes you are," she insisted. As if to prove it she came close to me and reached out for my neck. I felt a little pressure on it when she grabbed the air where the pentagram would have been if I wore it. "See, it is here", she said and smiled innocently. In shock I went backwards but she followed me.

"Don't you want to remember your sister? I know she is sad because you are not wearing her last gift." Tears found their way up into my eyes. "I'm sorry I just can't", I sobbed and went further backwards.

The little girl came steadily going towards me: "I know what you did and now guilt is tearing you apart. You would love to forget, but you can't." Her eyes turned blood red and she raised her voice "You killed your sister!", the girl shouted. I fell onto the floor and stared upwards into the little girls red eyes. I wanted to look away but I couldn't. It was as if she was shackling me.

When she next spoke her voice was back to the innocent sound it had before and it was somewhat calming: "Your sister wants you to join her." Slowly her eyes turned back to the bright blue they had been before. She sat next to me and stroked my hair. "I promise it won't hurt if you cooperate", she spoke softly and I almost believed her.

"I have things to do here, I can't go", I said. "Shhh, It's fine. You don't need to do anything, just come with me."

I pushed her hand out of my hair and sat myself up. "No", I said reluctantly. "Good, then I have to take you. You had your chance." She grabbed my wrists and put chains on them. The metal was hot and it burnt into my skin, lit my sleeves on fire. The pain was consuming me and with every move I made it got worse. The little girl grabbed the chain and pulled with such power, that it dragged me onto my knees. She forced me to get up and I obeyed.

I didn't see where she leaded me and after some painful time, what seemed like hours I finally went unconscious. Before everything went black I felt how she dragged me onwards.

When I woke up again I felt infernal heat everywhere around me. There was no escape. I could see the orange light even before I opened my eyes. When I finally did so I saw the flames everywhere around me and I could see another thing: my sisters face. With all the bloody wounds I inflicted with the knife. The horrible night flashed before my eyes.

"Welcome my sister", she said with a scratchy voice.

Then she began her work. This time it was her, who used the knife on her sister. That was the moment I knew I was in hell and that there was no escape. I would never return and I knew that I deserved it. With those thoughts I dedicated myself to the pain and screaming to satisfy my sister.