Chapter 5: Diner Run-ins & Tryouts

Ross's POV:
As Saturday rolled around, the guys and I decided to go to "Johnny Rockets" to hangout. When me and Riker got there, we bumped into our mortal enemies, The Rodents, they were the meanest, roughest and toughest biker gang at Hollywood Heights High School. Their leader, Butchy Delgado, was the one we despised the most. "Hey man, watch where you're going." Riker said as he pushed Butchy away, who shoved him. "Well, if somethings in my way I don't stop em'." Butchy said smirking at us. "Yeah, Butchy doesn't stop anybody." His friend Lugnut Nogerelli said in his Chicago accent. "Oh yeah?" I asked him as I straightened my jacket. "Yeah. Let's see about that after I pummel you into a wall, jerk face." Riker said as he grabbed Butchy's jacket and tried to punch him in the face before Johnny Davis, the owner of "Johnny Rockets" came in between me and the rival gang. "Alright, cut it out fellas. No fighting in my restaurant. Plus, I've got a date tonight with that new waitress at the coffee shop and I can't be seen mopping up your blood tonight. Do we have an understanding?" He asked as he fixed his glasses. "Yeah, we hear you Johnny." We all said in unison. "You boys better." He said as he pointed a finger at us before straightening his apron and heading back to work. "Alright, you boys got lucky this time. But Mr. Johnny won't be here to pick up the pieces in a few weeks." Butchy said smiling at us. "What's happening in a few weeks?" Ryland asked smiling as Rocky punched his arm. "Battle Of The Bands at your high school gym at 8 o'clock. Whoever wins gets a cherry red 1959 Cadillac. Be there." Butchy said as he shoved Riker and a piece of light green flier with the "BATTLE OF THE BANDS" title on it at his chest while the rest of the guys sat back down at their table. "Bro, those Rodents are asking for it." Riker said as he saw the Rodents get on their motorcycles while I stared at Zendaya sitting across the restaurant in a booth with Mitchell Hope, our school's football captain. I thought, Man, she  looks so pretty in that pink dress. "Ross, what's wrong with you? Are you still in love with that Zendaya chick?" Riker asked me smiling at me while gazing her way. "What are you crazy?" I asked smiling at him. "I'm just saying, why did you even fall in love with that chick anyways? She's not even like us, she's just ....nice." Riker said shrugging his shoulders while looking at Zendaya laughing at something that Mitchell said while sharing an Oreo milkshake. "Well, I hate to tell you big bro, sometimes opposites attract." I said to him as we made our way to the table. "Alright, the first official R5 Battle Of The Bands meeting is now in session." Ryland said as he drank a sip of his Coke. "Ya know what I heard? Last year, the band that played against the Rodents got disqualified because their guitarist smashed their bass onstage." Ratliff said as he took a bite of his cheeseburger. "When we win this thing, nobody is gonna catch "Greased Lightning". Riker said as he took a bite of his vanilla ice cream. "Wait, that's what you named the car?" Rocky asked him as we all laughed. "Yeah it is. Guys, you watch. This car is going to be amazing." Riker said as the guys all said a chorus of "yeah right" as I stared at Zendaya while eating a plate of french fries. "Is somebody bothering you Rossy?" Vanessa asked me while drinking a chocolate milkshake. "Oh, buzz off Nessa." I said not bothering to look at her. "Like a honeybee." She said walking away as she blew a kiss to Riker.

Zendaya's POV:
I was sitting across the booth from Mitchell wearing his blue letterman jacket over the shoulders of my dress. Mitchell was wearing a blue buttoned up t-shirt, dark jeans, and black converse. "Hey, do you wanna listen to some new music on the jukebox?" I asked smiling at him while he drank some more of our milkshake. "Sure. Do you need any money?" Mitchell asked as he searched his pockets for change. "No, I'm fine. I've actually got some. But, thank you for asking." I said smiling at him as I got up and walked over to the jukebox. "Guys, I'll be right back." I overheard Ross say to the guys as he got up from their table. "Hi Ross!" I overheard Kimmy exclaim. "Hey, Kimmy. I'm sorry, but I can't talk now." I heard Ross say as I glanced over at them. "Listen, what are you doing later?" Kimmy asked him while holding her pompoms. That girl takes those things everywhere, I thought to myself. "I can't talk." He said very politely. "Oh, but you'll call me right?" She asked him as he walked away. "No." He said over his shoulder. As I felt Ross walk up, I heard him chuckle to himself. Ross was wearing the same usual "T-Bird" outfit that the rest of the guys were wearing, minus the same color shirt, Riker was wearing a blue t-shirt, Rocky was wearing a green t-shirt, Ratliff was wearing a white buttoned up t-shirt and Ryland was wearing a red t-shirt : Ross was wearing a white t-shirt, "T-Bird" black leather jacket,ripped black jeans, and black converse. "Hey Daya." Ross said smiling at me while leaning against the jukebox. "Hi Ross." I said smiling at him. "How've you been?" He asked me while looking at the songs on the jukebox. "I've been fine. Thanks for asking." I said looking at him while smiling. "That's good. I've been wanting to talk to you for a while now." He said smiling down at me. "Really? What do you wanna talk about?" I asked him as I put a couple of quarters in the jukebox and looked through the "1950 song selection". "Well, about that first day of school. The way that I acted towards you that was horrible, terrible even. But that guy wasn't me, you've gotta believe me." Ross said looking at me sincerely. "Well that guy was me but it wasn't me being me." He said feeling confused as I giggled. "See Zendaya, I just have this image around this school and I-"  He said just before I cut him off. "I know Ross. And that's why I'm so happy that Mitchell is such a simple, nice person." I said as I waved towards Mitchell as he looked up and waved back from drinking our milkshake. "Yeah, simple is right. It's too bad that his brains went all the way to his biceps." Ross said jokingly while laughing. "Is the Ross Lynch jealous?" I asked him turning around smirking. "Me? Jealous? Come on, Zendaya. Don't make me laugh. Hahaha." He said with a smile. "Mitchell is an amazing football player. What have you ever done, besides play in your band or star on your show 'Austin & Ally'?" I asked him as I crossed my arms. "What do you mean? Daya, Look I can run circles around those jocks." Ross said as looked at me while standing by the jukebox. "I'll believe that when I see it. There's tryouts after school on Monday, Coach Campbell announced it during P.E yesterday. If you make it on any team, I might just forgive you. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date to get back to." I said smiling at him after walking back to my table with Ross standing there dumbfounded hearing Elvis Presley's soothing voice come from the jukebox singing "Paralyzed".