Lady of the Manor

“I don’t see why I have to live there. I want nothing to do with the place.” I said as I was being driven away from my home.

“It was your father's wish that you move into the Hexum mansion on your 18th birthday, Juliet.”

“Don’t be absurd, Rexfeild. He would surely understand if I sold the place. Or even donated it.” I told him. Rexfeild has been with me since my mother died a year ago. My father died when I was a very young child and as a result, it has only been my mother and me since. And then when my mother got sick, Rexfeild came to my side. He helped me through everything. He was a very old friend of my parents.

“He most certainly would not and you know that Julieta!”

“I know..”

Moving to the place where my parents spent so much happy time together. To the place where my father had died along with so many of my ancestors. The drive way was very long and had  trees along both sides that just melted the heart with dread. The Hexum manor. And me Julieta Clarisse Hexum returning to the house for the first time in 17 years. As Rexfeild stopped the car, I stepped outside to get a view of the grandeur of the home. Beautiful and old, but it still holds that feeling of dread. Walking up the steps, the front door starts to creak open.

“Rex, who else did you say was here?”

“The servants.”

As he says so, a very handsome young man opens the door in full tux. Slightly shaggy black hair that covers one of his bright green eyes.

“Hello, Lady Hexum. Welcome to Hexum Manor. May I take your bags?” He says in a voice so smooth at butter and a flowy and silk.

“Yes um..-“

“Vladimir Dormvean, Miss Hexum.”

“You can call me Julie, Vladimir.”

“Yes, Miss Julieta.” A quick conversation before he swiftly walks to pick up my bags from the side of the car. Julieta? How does he go from ‘you can call me Julie’ to ‘Miss Julieta’

“Well that was interesting Rex.”

“Yes that was. He didn’t even notice me!”

“That wasn’t the point rex-“sometimes he gets side track when people don’t use properness all the time , I have been driving him mad for the past year”- how old is that boy? He looks barely older than me.”

Rexfeild looks odd and coughs into his hand.

“Well yes he is 20 years old and has been working for the manor for a rather long time now. He is personally in charge of you well being here.”

“Won’t you be here?” I had no idea Rexfeild would be leaving. He has been around ever since I lost my mother and now he is gone to?

“Yes I am but I am only a phone call away. A grown women. You do not need me Jules.”

“ You don’t know that Rex.”

Who would eat breakfast now? Or ask about my day? Or take walks with me in the evening.

“ Just remember, you are Julieta Clarisse Hexum. Daughter of William Nathan Hexum. Here you are a powerful women. Be kind. Smile. But never let you guard down. Vladimir is the only one you can trust as of now. Everyone is a brand new staff since your father has passed. Call me if you need me. I’ll be here in a flash.”

He said looking into my scared eyes. His hands were on my shoulders keeping me steady. I was about to start my life as the lady of a manor. Just to think last week I was graduating high school. Ok here I go into the big manor.