The girl on the train

Kunal stared at the deserted train bogie. It looked quite unusual. He was used to such rush in this Churchgate Virar local that he could barely manage to stand near the footboard, leave apart getting a place to sit. But of course he was returning home today too early for the rush hour to begin. Today their office had closed early as some construction work was going on, and he found himself sitting in the local at 3 in the afternoon, with just a few other people, who too seemed to be in no hurry of rushing anywhere.

Everyday, Kunal left home at 7 am and reached back at 900 pm. He worked practically whole day and was so exhausted by the time he got home that he could think of nothing else but sleep. His boss often made him work weekends too. Of course he had no responsibilities as such, as he was single, staying alone in the apartment owned by his father in Vile Parle, while his family stayed in Bhopal. But still he needed some ?me time, to loll around reading his favorite book or watch some nice English movie. He was going to do just that today.

Kunal was lost in his own world of thoughts when he heard loud footsteps rushing towards him. He looked around to find a girl who almost ran upto the seat opposite him. The train had stopped at Grant Road station, and was now picking up speed. The girl looked terrified and kept turning around to look at the door of the bogie. Her hands were trembling. There were beads of sweat on her forehead.

Umm, are you in some kind of problem miss? Kunal asked when the girl continued looking petrified and turning repeatedly towards the door for the next ten minutes.

She looked at him as if she had now noticed him.
Is there some problem? he asked again. Can I help you?

The girl stared at him for some time. He began to feel uneasy. He turned his gaze away to look outside the window.

They are following me she said in a small but firm voice after some time.

Kunal looked up and down the bogie. There was no one other than a few people who were there since Churchgate.

Who is following you? he asked her.

They must have climbed in some other bogie. They will get back to me whenever I alight the train. They will kill me and she started crying violently. Kunal did not know what to do. People started turning and looking over, probably thinking that he had done something to her.

Hey please dont cry?calm down?tell me what exactly the problem is?I will help you, we will go to the police.

If that could have helped, I would have done that much earlier, she said through sobs.

What do you mean? Kunal asked, now really confused yet curious.

The police is on their side.

Who is ?they? Will you tell me? Only then can I help you?

The girl took a deep breath. Its a long story. Last month, I had gone to Goa on a vacation with my family. I was taking a stroll near the beach at night. I wandered a bit far away. I was about to turn and go back as I realized I had come far away, when I heard a muffled scream. There were some huge rocks ahead. The scream came from beyond them. Curious, I went ahead to see what was happening. That was when I sawthose two men killing a woman. I was so frightened that I unknowingly let out a scream. I immediately turned around and ran for my life. I ran as fast as my feet could take me, and I could hear their footsteps following me. That day I was saved as I ran to the cottage where my family was staying. But since then, they are following me, to kill me.

But how do you know they want to kill you? Do you recognize them?

No, not by face. When we returned to Mumbai, I thought it was over, and even forgot about it. But fifteen days back, I got a phone call from them. The man said he knew where I stayed and that they had followed me to Mumbai. We lodged a complaint at the police station. But the police did not do anything. From that day, I stopped going out of the house. I stopped going to college.