Chapter 10: The Interview

Prince wasn't in the mood for talking so he slid into his studio and picked up his guitar. He barely had played one note when Damaris came skipping in.

"This, my friend, is a cell phone!" She said while glancing annoyingly at the old landline phone hanging on the wall. 

"I believe I have seen one of those before.." He replied with an eye roll. "They just left, where did you get a brand new cell phone so fast?!"

"Well, apparently, when you call a store and say that THE Prince needs something, they move very quickly!" She handed him the iPhone proudly. "I already sent Paisley a text so she'd have your number. Let me show you how it works!" She unlocked the phone and began naming the various buttons on the outside of the phone.

"Damaris...." he interrupted. "In case you have forgotten, I have a 15 year old daughter. I know how to send a text and a call. I don't really need to know how to do anything else. I don't see myself having a need to play that fruit slicing game anytime soon.." His sarcasm flowed smoothly.

"Of course, Paisley has shown you how to do this!" She dropped her head in laughter.

He raised an eyebrow, "What is so funny?"

"I'm just picturing you playing Fruit Ninja.." She was barely able to get the sentence out through her laughter. "On a serious note, put that phone to use tonight if you need anything." He gave her a quick nod and waited for her to leave before he headed to his room. 

He threw himself onto his bed as if he were exhausted, but he wouldn't be sleeping. He laid there all night staring at the ceiling, his mind racing. Before he knew it, it was 8 a.m. and someone from Child Protective Services was arriving to talk to him. He quickly changed into a black button up shirt and white pants with a black stripe down the side. He grabbed the white heels that matched perfectly and a white fedora to cover his messy hair. He was used to wearing his shirts half buttoned with the collar popped, but he figured he should look more formal today. He buttoned every button except the top one and folded down the collar. He noticed how red his eyes looked from the lack of sleep so he added just a touch more makeup. He usually moved at his own pace, but today he was moving full speed to avoid being late. A glance at the clock told him Paisley's treatment had already begun. He sent her a quick good luck text and headed downstairs to convince a total stranger that he was a good father.