Chapter 1

Author's Note: So this idea came to me reading some of the fanfics of Christian and Ana meeting earlier in life, in college or high school (though that's a bit too early for my taste but fun to read). This isn't related to any of those story lines but instead it explores the notion of Ana being alongside Christian as he builds up his multibillion-dollar business, and the sacrifices they both have to make along the way.

In my version, Ana is 18 and goes to school in Boston, while Christian is 21 and attends Harvard when they meet. Same Elena backdrop (though that's not a major plot line) but he's left Elena behind and our favorite couple instantly have a mutual attraction and fall in love. Christian drops out and leaves for Seattle to start his company, taking Ana with him. Ana transfers to a school in Washington State, they get married when she turns 21, GEH becomes a major success, she graduates and a year later she finally lands a job at SIP. Five years after they met, that's where this story starts.

No kids yet. This is all about how Christian navigates Ana's desire to step out of his shadow to forge her own career path as both of them try to achieve a better work-life balance. Some lemons and HEA, but there is a more serious fight than the kind I usually depict as Ana begins to feel neglected and Christian, who is deeply in love with her but a bit dense, has to reassess his priorities.

This story is divided into two parts. The first half ends at Chapter 16. The second half of this story — which is a "prequel" of their first year together — starts at Chapter 17. Sorry if the backward time jump is a little confusing. I started with this part and then I had the idea to revisit the early days when they first got together.

Also please note that this story originally appeared on Fanfiction.net. I'm slowly reposting each chapter to fix errors.

In the meantime, if you like this, kindly review and spread the word — and also check out my main book, "Something Tangible," and follow that. Reviews keep me inspired so feedback is really appreciated! Thanks and enjoy!

Fifty Shades of Sacrifice

Ana burst into Christian's personal lobby practically skipping — and tripping over herself. For once in her slightly clumsy life, she was brimming with confidence.

"Hi Andrea! How are you?" she beamed.

"Morning Mrs. Grey. I'm great. Thank you for asking. He's meeting with a few associates in his office but go on in."

"No no, I'll wait," she declined.

"Mrs. Grey, you know he's left explicit instructions for you to interrupt..."

"I know Andrea," she pre-empted her husband's ever-efficient personal assistant. "But it's not urgent. Will he be finished soon?

"He should only be another 10 minutes."

"Terrific. I'll wait."

Ana took a seat on one of the sleek white chairs that graced the lobby but struggled to sit still, anxious to tell her husband the good news. As usual she didn't have to wait very long. Andrea had already surreptitiously emailed her boss alerting him to Ana's presence.

A minute later, Christian shooed the three men in drab, indistinguishable suits out of office before setting his sights on his wife, who was radiating joy.

"Hi baby," he greeted her wearing a huge, goofy grin.

"Hi Christian," she ran into his arms.

"What's up? To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"I have amazing news. I got the job at SIP! I'm going to be an assistant editor," she squealed, unable to contain her excitement any longer.

"That's wonderful baby! Congratulations. I knew you could do it." Matching her enthusiasm, Christian twirled his wife in the air and planted a loud, sloppy kiss on her lips before setting her back down. "Come on baby, you can tell me all about it," he clasped her hand and ushered her into his office.