Chapter 3

Tuesday looked nervously around the room. "I didn't know you worked here. I can go if you think this is weird or whatever."

She blushed and looked towards the door. She seemed uncomfortable.

Then I realized that I was creepily staring at her legs and not talking.

I cleared my throat and proceeded. "No, it's fine. I'll just interview you like everyone else," I said, uneasily.

"Um, okay," she nervously replied as she took a seat.

Breaking the tension was going to be harder than I thought. "So, I didn't know you were looking for a job."

"You never asked," she smirked, but it quickly vanished. "I teach art at the local elementary school, but it's only for a few hours a day."

"I didn't know you were an artist."

"You never asked."

We both smirked this time.

"So, um, why do you want to work here?" I was trying to think of normal interview questions to ask her, but I knew I didn't sound professional.

"Well, it's always been my dream to work at a movie theater," she deadpanned.

I gave her a sideways glance. We hadn't talked this much since we went out for coffee a year ago. I tried to imagine what she was like before her brother died. Maybe she played tennis or wrote poetry or something. She probably lost all her friends. That usually happens after someone close to you dies. It happened to me. It just seemed pointless to have relationships when I couldn't have one with the person who mattered the most to me.

I guess a few seconds went by because she didn't wait for me to reply. "Sorry. I was trying to be funny. I should probably go," she said and got up to leave.

"No, don't," I protested.

"It's fine, you really don't have to do this. I can find somewhere else."

I could see the desperation in her eyes. The same I saw in Derek and Jen. I couldn't help myself. "Can you operate a cash register?" I asked her.

"Um, yeah," she said, rubbing the back of her arm.

Then you're hired," I said.

She gave me a sad smile and turned away, blushing.

"So, can you start tomorrow?" I asked as I ushered her outside.

"Yes, I will head over here right after I finish teaching. Should be around noon."

We walked to the center of the theater where Derek was collecting tickets.

"Here, let me introduce you to the staff," I put my hand on the small of her back to lead the way, but I felt her tense up so I removed it.

"Tuesday, this is Derek," I said as Derek grabbed her hand and pulled it up to his lips for a kiss.

"Ma lady," he said in a terrible British accent.

She nervously giggled and removed her hand quickly.

"That's Sully over there," I informed her. I pointed over to where Sully was angrily picking up a box of spilled popcorn and grunting to himself.

Another giggle.

"And that's Jen over at concessions," I waved to Jen and she gave me a sweet smile as she waved back.

"That's pretty much everyone," I said. "So, I guess I'll see you tomorrow?" I wasn't sure if I should say "tomorrow" or "later." I didn't know if she'd want to keep sleeping together, but I wasn't going to be presumptuous.