Souls After Death

When we die, it's simply a matter of our brain shutting down, finally getting a break, finally getting to rest. It's a matter of our souls, tainted and unclean from the world that we lived in, leaving our bodies.
What, exactly, is a soul?
A soul is our very beings, our personality, all of our experiences, slowly gathered throughout our entire life. Your habits, your fears, your memories, love and hate and everything more, all gathered up in an colorless, intangible ball of energy.
A soul is, simply put, you, but missing a physical form.
Our bodies are left completely behind. Our bodies are useless after death. Unlike anything you've ever seen in books or movies or such, a soul cannot re-enter a body after death.
Where does the soul go, you ask?
Some are lucky enough to be reincarnated, after their souls are carefully studied and evaluated by nature, and deemed pure enough. Nobody is entirely pure.
As for the pureness of a soul:
Pureness is not judged by sexual intercourse, bad decisions, nor mental failings. Without sex, after all, none of us would exist today. Bad decisions are not always our fault. Sometimes decisions are all we can make, and humans most definitely make mistakes. Mental disorders are things we are born with, and things we die with. Insanity is not an excuse for murder, for even insanity comes with the tiniest sliver of consciousness.
Pureness is judged by the kindness in your soul, haunted by intentional and excessive murder of intelligent species, exceptions created if the slaughtering is simply for food, a necessary cruelty. Souls are tainted from villainy, cleansed from pure intentions, darkened from unfaithfulness, lightened from happiness.
The souls that pass the test are reincarnated, from as soon as a few seconds, or as long as several centuries. They become humans or animals or plants and any other living organism, and Fate decides who becomes what.
As for the rest...well...
The sins of the damned seep into an eternally churning river, not permitting rest to the vile souls. Relentlessly souls are beaten against the current of the river until the sins are washed away, and the souls are finally allowed rest. These souls seep into the very essence of nature, swirl in the wind, slither over mountains, swim through seas, joyously happy to be free at last.