Chapter 1

The water is alive. Once you dive in, it will immediately bare its fangs and attack, but there's nothing to fear. Don't resist the water, thrust your fingers into the surface and carve an opening, then slide your body through that opening. Moving your arms, your head and chest... I only do free... I don't care about swimming faster times, all I want is to feel the water, with my skin, my eyes, my soul... To never doubt what it makes me feel, believe in myself, don't resist the water, welcome it. We accept each other...

I felt the water going through my skin as I moved my arms in a long stroke. I lifted my head to take a deep breath before going underwater again, but as I could see the next lane, I saw his piercing eyes and his sharp smile right beside me. His eyes were trying to tell me that he was serious about the little race we were having. As I was thinking about his dangerous expression, I didn't realize that Rin was already about five meters in front of me. He kept the distance in the last 50 meters till I touched the cold pool wall, meaning the race was over.

"Haru, I thought you said you were racing me seriously this time." Said Rin taking off his cap ang goggles.

"I am, really, but you keep staring at me whenever I lift my head to breath, it makes me decentralize" I said while pushing my body up to get out of the pool.

"What are you? My girlfriend?" Rin joked as he was getting out as well.

Ever since the last nationals, Rin and I have been training together on our own on weekends. It is like a break from the children we often have to look for, by children I mean the rest of the Iwatobis and Rin's team. We try not to take the practice as a competition, but Rin is competitor just the way he is and it is hard to pull the ropes when he challenges me.

"Haru, I was thinking of signing myself in the 100 meters free for the prefectures next month, will that be okay with you?" Rin saying while drying himself with a towel.

"I don't really mind" I said quietly.

"Well then I don't intent to lose to you." He laughed a little and then he pulled this sharp grinning of his.

Here's the deal, it is not that I don't take Rin seriously while swimming, but I know that if he loses he will go into this terrible depression as he did once in elementary school. I don't really feel any pleasure when I win, plus I feel bad when Rin is hurt. He is one of the most important persons in my life, but since I have Makoto with me, I can't call him my best friend, but I really gotta admit that Rin has a special part in my heart. When I see him happy, I rejoice and all I want for him is to achieve all his goals and to become the best swimmer the world has ever known.

I walked through the door alongside Rin and as we reached the street, I knew we were going opposite ways. Rin has to take the train back to Samezuka.

"Haru" he called me, "I won't lose next time either, so watch your back." Hi face was totally serious, I froze completely as he turned his back to me and started to walk away. In a quick move he gazed back to me, "I am just kidding Haruka! Take care, see you!" he smiled at me and my heart skipped a beat for an instant.

Going back home I wasn't paying attention to anything, all kept recalling Rin's smiled and every time I did, I felt this small pain in my chest. As the night came, I followed my daily routine, a long bath and fried mackerel for dinner. Before falling asleep, my mind replayed his words again "Take care, see you", I remembered the way the afternoon sun was shining against his face. The thing about his voice is that he never really talks like that to me, whenever he talks, he always gives this sense of rivalry between us, but this time, he was being warm and that somehow kept me calm for the rest of the night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"What do you think Haru-chan? Is it okay if we go today?" Nagisa said while literally jumping at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Haru, you haven't been paying attention today, you are just staring at the water of the pool." Said Makoto with warm eyes. "Remember it is still too cold for us to swim in the school pool, so please don't think about getting in, you'll catch a cold"

"I wasn't going to..." I said barely hearable.

"I was saying, Ai-chan invited us to their afternoon practice today, so I was wondering if we could go." Nagisa said full of energy.

"I think you should ask Rin Senpai first, Nagisa." Said Rei putting his glasses properly.

"Ai-chan said that he spoke to Rin and he is fine with it, as long as Haru-chan comes. Please Haru-chan!" Nagisa kneeled in front of me, begging. I am sure I blushed a little when Nagisa mentioned Rin wanting my presence, I hope they didn't notice.

"It's fine by me." I said.

Nagisa jumped to me and hugged me, "Thank you Haru-chan! We gotta leave soon, I have to choose the best swimsuit, come help me Rei!" Nagisa pulled Rei's arm and took him away, to his house probably.

Now it was just Makoto, who kept staring at me, he was trying to figure out what is happening to me, I know it.

"Haru," he said gently, "Are you okay?"

"Yes" I said coldly.

Since we always carry our swimsuit with us, we just went to the station and waited for the rest. After 30 minutes, Nagisa appeared, pulling the arm of Rei who seemed to be totally done. And so, we were on our way to Samezuka Academy.