Evelyn

Elijah watched from his place in the bed as Evelyn walked out of the room in nothing but one of his dress shirts. She would return soon, no doubt with two cups of coffee, but still Elijah found his heart missing her. Maybe not because she was physically vacant in that moment, but perhaps it was because she didn't know him for who he really was, and that was a rare thing to come by. Evelyn didn't know anything about the other side of reality, the side of vampires, werewolves, and witches. The side he was damned to live in forever. He wanted to keep it that way, keep her naïve and innocent and safe. The safest way to do that would've been to stay away from her altogether, but he was too selfish for that. For once, instead of chasing after his siblings or trying to bring peace to the community, he let himself have this one desire. After so many decades he figured he deserved it. But for her sake, no one could know about her, and she could never know the truth about him. Sneaking around was one thing; telling her everything was another.

Elijah sighed, and rolled over onto his stomach, pressing his face into the pillow beneath him. God. Telling her the truth? He was in way to deep.

He let his mind roll back to the moment he met her. She had just moved to New Orleans for a photography course at the university and had found the perfect home in the French Quarter. Her first day in her new home and she decided to adventure, see what was really up with the infamous New Orleans. Evelyn was naïve, clueless, and new. The perfect victim. Elijah had saved her. She, of course, didn't know this. She was walking in the streets when Elijah dropped on the two vampires following her. When she turned around no bodies were found. Only a tall man in an expensive looking suit. He offered to show her around, and the rest was history.

No one knew about them. Not Hayley, not Rebekah, definitely not Klaus. This was the one thing Elijah wished to keep for himself. After everything, centuries of trying to keep order in his family, giving up everything he ever loved or having it ripped from him. Just this once, he wanted to keep her as his.

Elijah heard her coming up the stairs before she was five feet away from the door. He smelt the coffee next, strong. It was her favourite brand. Elijah himself didn't care for coffee, but he found that he'd do anything to share the simplest things with her. She was human and he was a vampire. There wasn't much they could share, but this. Coffee. Early mornings in her flat. He'd take that any day.

He heard her put the cups down before he felt her fingers trail down his back. She ran her hands down his side and wrapped arms around his middle, laying down on him as she pressed kisses into his muscular shoulder blades. Elijah smiled into the pillow, wider than he had in a long time. Evelyn let her head rest on his shoulder. "Are you falling asleep on me?" She joked.

"Never," Elijah mumbled. He rolled over, bringing Evelyn into his arms so she laid on his stomach.

She smiled brightly at him as she crossed her arms over his chest, resting her chin on them. "Good."

God, she was beautiful. Dark eyelashes framing big eyes the colour of spring. Long, wavy black hair. Olive skin he could kiss until the end of time. She was short, allot shorter than him, but her legs were slender and strong, evident of her love for running. Her frame, small yet curvy, fit perfectly in his. Her crooks and folds and curves matching his. And her smile. The very sight of it could turn the worst days good. His heart, if it were still beating, would hammer in chest at the every sight of her.

He tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, and let his palm rest gently on her cheek. Evelyn held onto it with hers, kissing the inside of his wrist before intertwining their fingers. Elijah grinned at her, Evelyn returning the gesture, dimples on display.

"What's the plan for today?" He asked softly, not wanting to disturb the moment.

Evelyn gleamed up at him. "Absolutely nothing." She sounded so blissful, so happy. "Assignments are all done, no shifts until tomorrow. I'm all yours."