Prologue

The street was crowded that night with people running to the lines at the venue to see their favorite band, bumping into one another with their money in their hands, arms outstretched, trying to get the best seats they could. I was walking home from the grocery store, clutching my wallet and other belonging closer to my chest. I had only gone out for some milk and bread. It was really all I could afford to get for myself. I turned the corner just as a few girls screamed about their new seats, causing me to jump. I turned right into a young man. He was about my age, 18, with blonde hair and tan skin, with brown eyes. "Hey! Where you headed? You lost?" He said in a smooth, cool tone.
"Uhm, no... I uhh... I was just walking home." I was a bit taken aback by his looks - he was absolutely stunning. His eyes were hypnotizing.
"Need a lift? Names Ben." He said, and winked. My heart actually pounded in my chest, but at the same time the hair on my arms stool up straight.
"Alena."
I replied with a smile. I walked with him to his vehicle, and he opened the door for me. My instincts suddenly kicked in, and I cleared my expression. This guy was a stranger, and I wasn't about to get into his car.
"Actually, um, I'd rather walk. Thanks." I said and pushed past him, when he grabbed my arm hard. "Not so fast..." He purred, then just barely let go of me, gently caressing my wrist. I jerked my arm back.
"Look, I really gotta get home, my uncle is expecting me, and I can't be home late -"
"It'll only be a couple minutes if you cooperate..." His voice was cold by now. I tried to put together what he had said.
"What will only be a couple minutes?" I whimpered. What happened next will stay with me for the rest of my life. He looked at me with a cold, dead expression, and smiled. I took off. I dropped the bread, and the carton of milk, and my wallet. I ran into an alley, hoping to lose him. Not a good idea, I know. I began to tire, and I was slowing down. I felt his arm wrap around my waist, and he pulled me to the ground. Dirty, rough, and cold.  I tried to scream but he slammed my head against the hard concrete, and covered my mouth with his hand. It was completely dark. I remember looking up at the sky, squinting to see the stars... just to get one last glimpse. He breathing was heavy, and I closed my eyes, remembering.