0 - Prologue

The story of Hakino Saoshi begins here. Not in his past, but rather, the present.

Saoshi walked in the coffee shop called Anteiku, smiling at Kirishima Touka, his favorite waitress. Saoshi's a regular in Anteiku, him being their favorite customer as well. He's been a regular in Anteiku ever since he was 14, which was 6 years ago. Everyone knew him well, much more than his best friends, Kaneki and Hide.

Speaking of the two, he saw Kaneki drinking coffee while Hide lounged around. It appeared that they had saved a seat for him. He walked over to them, and smiled.

"Sao! You're finally here!" Hide greeted cheerfully. He held up a hand, and Sao high-fived him.

"You bet, can't mistaken this mug for anyone else." Sao said, grinning. He turned to Kaneki, who he gave a little wave at. Kaneki wasn't exactly as loud as Hide and Sao, so he always gives Kaneki a calmer greeting.

"Hey, Kaneki-kun." He greeted. Then he clapped his hands together. "Alright, I heard something about a date. What's it about?"

"Well.." Kaneki said, his cheeks reddening. "I wanted to take someone out for a date to a bookstore."

Hide laughed out loud, attracting the attention of many people. Saoshi looked at Hide weirdly. It appears that Hide thought it was a joke.

"Is it actually that much of a joke to you?" Kaneki asked, sighing as Hide kept laughing. Saoshi thought it was a great idea, for bookworms like Kaneki.

"Let's be real here. You can't be serious about going to a bookstore for your first date." Hide said, smirking at Kaneki. Saoshi kept silent for most of it.

"Why not? She might be thrilled, you know!" Kaneki argued. The 'might' wasn't the most assuring and confident answer in the world, but Kaneki had a point.

"For your information, that's never going to happen. Period." Hide said.

"What? Fine then, how about I take her out to the Big Grill instead? Just the two of us, and grab some hamburgers." Kaneki said, while Hide started laughing again. "I'm being completely serious here!"

"No, no, it's great! That's so like you!" Hide said. Saoshi drank from his own coffee, served minutes ago by Touka. Saoshi then let out a little sigh.

"Hide, it might be a good idea. There are many people like Kaneki-kun, perhaps our unknown woman might prefer the bookstore than the movies or a mall." Saoshi said, defending Kaneki. "Yet, maybe the woman might be more interested in other things, Kaneki-kun."

"What, you don't think I can't handle it?" Kaneki asked, offended. "What would you do then, Hide?"

"Listen up. When it comes to dates, you have to pick a place that excites the girl." Hide said, acting like a professional. Saoshi snorted.

"Yes, places such as..?" Saoshi asked, while Hide thought very deeply.

"Huh? S-such as.." Hide said, scratching his head. Kaneki frowned.

"You don't even know!" Kaneki accused. Hide sighed.

"If I knew, I wouldn't be out here on a date with you." Hide said, admitting defeat.

"How about you, Sao? Got any good ideas?" Hide then asked, smirking. Saoshi gave him the lazy eye.

"If I told everyone my secrets, it wouldn't be much of a secret, right?" Saoshi said, dodging the question. Then he changed the subject. "By the way, who's the lucky girl?"

"Oh! It's gotta be her, right?" Hide asked, looking over at Touka. Saoshi snorted again.

"No, it's not her." Kaneki said. "I mean, she's cute too.."