Sao had reached home after the encounter with ghoul investigators. He was definitely going to make sure Anteiku found out, since it was a ghoul safe haven. He looked at his bloody clothes, sighing, and took them off, throwing them in the laundry basket. He fell to his bed and nearly fell asleep until his phone rang.

"Hello?" Sao asked, not bothering to check the caller ID.

"Sao, it's me, Kaneki. I just wanted to call about the date; we're going to the bookstore this coming Sunday." Kaneki said.

"Well, you two have fun, not too much fun though. An.. accident could happen." Saoshi said, not knowing how to phrase his concerns correctly without giving away his identity.

"S-sao! It's not going to be like.. that! It's just at Caprieonus Bookstore, and after that, I'll see her get home safely, then leave." Kaneki explained, and Saoshi knew where he'd go then.

"I see. See you soon, Kaneki-kun. Stay safe." Saoshi said, before ending the call. He will not let his best friend be eaten alive by Rize, he wouldn't forgive himself. And Rize, if she were to even survive their encounter. Because if Kaneki dies at the hands of that gluttonous woman, he'll make sure that she never eats again.

***

It was Sunday. Saoshi got up, going over his plan again. He was to wait in the bookstore, follow them afterwards, and then ensure Kaneki's safety. It was a plan that had too many holes, but it was his best shot.

He walked to Caprieonus Bookstore, entering the store and going to the upstairs diner, taking a seat. It was a good thing he brought a book of his own, since he can't eat a whole meal, nor can he just sit there and stare at the ghoul-human date. So, he picked up a book named 'Movements of a Lover', which was a gift from Kaneki a year ago. He never actually read it, so now was a good time.

After reading through a quarter of the book, Kaneki and Rize arrived, both in casual attire. Kaneki and Rize ordered some food of their own, and began talking.

"Kaneki-san, what's your favorite work by Takatsuki?" Rize asked.

"It has to be his debut book." Kaneki replied, and began eating. Saoshi didn't fail to notice how Rize ordered sandwiches, yet nibbled a piece. Bread, indeed, tasted like a dry sponge dripped in filthy water.

"It was an instant bestseller, after all." Rize said. "A refreshing delicacy amidst all the clutter, you might say."

"Y-yes, exactly. To be blessed by that much writing talent, releasing a bestseller whilst still in his teens--" Kaneki said, before pausing as he choked on his food. Saoshi almost laughed, but kept himself silent. Rize leaned over, with 'concern'.

"Are you all right?" Rize asked. Kaneki looked shocked by something Saoshi can't see.

"I-I'm fine.." Kaneki said. "Er, I mean.. That's.. Rize-san, you don't eat very much, do you?"

"Actually, um, I'm currently on a strict diet.." Rize said. Of humans only, Saoshi thought. "If you'll excuse me for a bit, I need to use the restroom."

Now's my chance, Saoshi thought. He stood up and headed to the restrooms, waiting by the door. He heard her footsteps come closer, and then she entered.

"On a date with Kaneki-kun, Rize?" He asked her before she entered the women's restroom. She turned to him, her eyes narrowed.

"Saoshi. What do you want?" Rize asked, not masking her dislike for Saoshi, as did Saoshi. She killed too many people at once.

"To know of your intentions toward Kaneki-kun." He drawled, disliking this conversation. Rize grinned.

"I'm going to eat him up, limb by limb. Those men were the meal, and he's the desert." Rize said, licking her lips. Saoshi glared at her.

"You won't be eating him if I'm there, Rize." He hissed at her, who was surprised at his quick change of attitude. "In fact, I'm going to stop him. See you."

Saoshi walked out, moving towards Kaneki, who he touched on the shoulder.

"Kaneki, you need to leave." Saoshi said, looking him in the eye.

"What? Why? I'm on a date with Rize-san, Sao. What's so important?" Kaneki asked. "And when did you start calling me just Kaneki?"

"No time to talk, just get out of here and go home." Saoshi said, while Kaneki stayed firm and stubborn.

"No, I'm not leaving! I'm staying here." Kaneki said, as Rize came walking out of the restrooms. Rize acted surprised, yet the glint in her eye told him otherwise.

"Ah, Kaneki-san. Who is he?" Rize asked, as Saoshi faced her. He glared at her.

"Er, he's my friend, he.. he just stopped by to say hello. No worries." Kaneki explained, while Saoshi rolled his eyes. Kaneki's a stubborn man.

"Yes. Well, I hope both of you have a fun night.." Saoshi said, smiling. He then turned to Rize, the same evil glint in his eye. "Especially you, Ri-ze-san."

He then turned to the door and left, book in hand an a new plan in mind.

***

shortest chapter yet, with like 900 words nice

pls comment or vote bc i'm lonely