chapter two ; neighbors

Hello Canada. Apparently my uncle lives in a house in Pickering with his family, so we are staying there for a week until we get settled enough to find our own place to live.

While entering the house, I noticed that it's huge. No wonder there was enough space for us to live here for a while.

I got settled in my own room, which was amazing. I had my own bathroom too, which was a plus! I walked out to my balcony and saw a group of friends talking and having fun. That was me and my group of friends until I moved to Canada. I wished my friends were here with me.

I pushed that thought aside, even though I needed to make some friends, I need to finish unpacking. I filled up my closet with clothes, and picked out an outfit for the day. I picked out a black tank top with sweatpants.

"Jasmine!" I heard someone yell. I rushed downstairs to see who was calling my name. "Omg Emily! I haven't seen you since we were little!" We were the closest cousins you would ever see when we were little. Since they lived in Canada and I lived in Florida, our bond slowly drifted apart but now that I'm here, I'm sure we can pick up where we left off. Emily was the only one I told everything to. I trusted her with everything, and she always helped me whenever I needed.

We spent the rest of the day having a girls night. We went shopping earlier and now we're trying everything on while jamming to music. We stayed up watching movies until we both passed out around 2:00 in the morning.

Waking up the next day, I see a bunch of shopping bags and items spread across the floor. Next to me was a bowl of unfinished popcorn. I dumped the stale popcorn and decided to wake Emily up. "Wake up you sleepy head!" Emily sat up and checked her phone, responding with, "Are you kidding me? It's only 7:00 AM and you decide to wake me up? You know I usually sleep in." I laughed at her response. "Come on, let's get ready. It's Sunday today right? Let's go out and do something." I tell Emily as she scrolls through her phone.

After an hour, both of us were finally done getting ready. "What should we do today?" I ask Emily. She responds with a shrug. I come up with an idea, "Hey, how about we go down to the beach?" Emily agrees and we head out the door, walking down the beach which was several minutes away.

While on the way to the beach, I couldn't help but think about the boy I saw when Emily and I were leaving our house. I assume he lives next door, since he was sitting on one of the chairs on the patio of the house next door. Since Emily lives right next door to this boy, I should ask her about him.

Once we arrive at the beach, I turn around to Emily and ask her, "Hey do you think you can introduce me to your neighbors or something? I'm going to be at your house for a while, so I'm assuming that I am going to need to make some friends around this neighborhood." Emily instantly looks back at me with a grin, "There's this boy that's also fourteen years old like you, and he lives right next door to me! He's actually kind of cute, but he's not my type. I can totally hook you up with him!" This reminds me of Connor, bringing back amazing memories of Florida. "No, it's fine Emily. I don't really want to be with anyone as of right now. Remember Connor, the boy that I told you about and I was close friends with back in Florida? Well, he has feelings for me, and I don't know how I feel towards him. We aren't together or anything but it's just complicated and I rather not be involved in anything until I talk to Connor. But I am willing to make friends." Emily just smirked.

Walking back to our house, I see the same boy taking out the garbage. Emily catches me staring and says loudly, "Jas, are you staring at Shawn?" The boy immediately looks at us, I'm guessing this boy's name is Shawn. I glare at Emily while she just smirks and exchanges glances between me and this boy. He walks over to us and introduces himself. "Hey, I'm Shawn. I'm guessing your name is Jas?" "Hey Shawn, and my name is Jasmine but Jas is a nickname that Emily likes calling me," I smile afterwards. "Nice to meet you Jas, if you don't mind me calling you that. You're very pretty." I instantly blush, "Thank you Shawn" before getting pulled into the house by Emily.

"He likes you." "We just met though, and he's probably dating someone. I mean, just look at him, girls would be all over him. He's good looking and all, but I'd have no chance if I was interested." I looked at Emily to see her rolling her eyes. "We're inviting him over tomorrow," Emily says, before running up to her room.

I love Emily, but she is just too much to handle sometimes.