Chapter 4: Fake Role

Coffee. So delicious. So dark. So desirable.

Yes, coffee was what she needed every single day. It varied, sometimes three cups and crazily sometimes five!

Clover would never cease to tell her that she was addicted to caffeine but she hardly paid attention to her insignificant words.

If there were two drinks she could not resist, warm coffee and chilling champagne. She sipped the last drops of it and set the cup aside.

It helped her to relax. Now, she felt her energy and creativity being boosted all over again. She ran her delicate fingers over the keyboard of her laptop and typed at a remarkable speed.

Within five minutes, she pressed print and the printer that stood in the corner of the room began to draw in blank papers automatically. Good. She stretched her arms and slipped out of these uncomfortable heels. She buzzed the intercom on her desk, "Clover, what's scheduled?"

A brief look at the agenda and Clover answered, "Ah, not much. You've got a meeting with your web designers and you've got to interview a list of applicants for the senior management team to replace one of the members who just retired."

"How long is the list?"

Clover saw the stack of CVs on her table, "I've selected the very best... You have around 15 candidates."

"Alright. I don't want to be disturbed under any pretext, Clover. I am busy." And she ended the call right there itself without adding more. Now the real work would begin. She took her pencil in her hand and approached a blank white page.

She would draft the mayor's necklace right as he had described it. Recalling the mayor's verbal description and creating the image in her mind, she made the sharp lead slide on the paper.

Pamela, the receptionist was speaking to Clover about some applicants who would come when she stared in shock at the man who was standing before her. "Hey beautiful, which way to Sanders' secretary?"

Chase leant against the reception desk and flashed a charming smile at her. She couldn't believe it, "Chase Decker!?"

She instantly hung the phone and gave him her whole attention. Chase read the name plate pinned on her blouse's pocket and grinned, "Indeed, Pamela. That's my name. So, which way?"

She cleared her voice, forced herself to recall that she was at her workplace and clumsily gestured towards the elevator, "Last floor. 100TH. Can I accompany you? You...might get lost."

She stroked his hand and held his eyes for a moment. Chase returned the caress and smirked, "Another time, sweetheart." He released her much to her disappointment and walked to the elevator.

He was not surprised at the offer she indirectly proposed him; women were easily charmed by him but right now, he was concentrating on only one and that was Sander's secretary.

He looked at himself in the mirror inside the lift. He did not need the opposite gender's comments to know that he was handsome. Who wouldn't be dazzled? Smart, multi-skilled and strong; the main characteristics women needed in a man and he had much more than that too.

He stepped out of the lift and walked along the corridor till he saw the door he was looking for. On the occasion, he would also meet Sanders herself and have a word with her. A large door was wide open and he instantly knew that she would be in this room only.

As he trespassed the threshold, he stared at the woman who looked at him as she stood, "Who-Mr Decker?!"

He arched a brow in surprise. His mind instantly put things in order. He approached the secretary and said thoughtfully as he observed her, "You are not her and she is not you."