Chapter 34--What's Next?

Sara, Luis, Doug and Gary sat on the plane on their way back home to California.  Scott and Steven were at Meydan Racecourse with Storm still.  Sara and Luis didn't want to leave, but they were glad to be getting back to California.  They left early that morning California time, but late night Dubai time. 

It was finally 10:00 a.m. when their flight landed in California.  When they exited the plane, they were met by sprinkles of rain falling.  When they got inside the airport to finish up what they needed, they got outside to get in Luis's parents truck, it was already pouring down rain.  Nor always something that happens in the part of California where they live.  His dad was there only, waiting on them to get out of the airport to bring everyone home.

Once everyone was at their homes, Sara got on her computer and went on Blood horse's website.  She then found an article over Storm's big win in Dubai.  And so, she started reading it after clicking on it.

"Another Storm Chased
Chasing The Storm-The First Triple Crown Winner to win the Dubai World Cup

Dubai, UAE--Chasing The Storm became the first Triple Crown winner ever to win the Dubai World Cup.  And the United States horses dominated, as all six placed in the top six.

Speed Demon set the pace early on, setting blazing fractions before dropping back exiting the turn.  He set the race up perfectly for the closers.  And that was pretty much everyone. 

Turning for home, Chasing The Storm charged up and opening on the rail and started to open up on the field.  At the top of the stretch, he kept powering on home, and he never looked back.  Eased in the final quarter mile since he was so far in front, Chasing The Storm cantered past the finish line with a nine length lead over Dynastic Future in second.

Last year's UAE Derby winner, Striking Image, was third.  The Hawaiian bred filly, Heaven And Sky, who was trying to become the first filly to ever win the world's richest race, ended up finishing fourth.  Smokestack, who chased Chasing The Storm to third in the Breeder's Cup Classic was fifth as Frosty Dayz finished sixth.

Dubai Bird had to settle for seventh, while his stablemate, Shady Hopes, was eighth.  The Irish bred six year old gelding, Jackaboy, was ninth, followed by the Japanese bred Heart Of Japan in tenth.  Canadian bred Speed Demon, who set the pace early on, faded to tenth while French bred Take Me On was twelfth. 

A Triple Crown winner will usually retire after their three year old season, but Chasing The Storm will be going strong until the end of his four year old career then retire to stud."

Sara then shut her phone off, as it was on six percent.  She then plugged it into the charger, as she would most likely need it when her and the rest of the met later in the day to discuss what is next for Storm.

---------------

Later on that day, Luis, Doug, Sara and Gary met up.

"So," Luis asked everyone.  "What's next for Storm?"

"San Diego Handicap back at his home track," Gary replied.  "Then move on to the Pacific Classic and onto the Breeder's Cup for his last race he will ever run in."

"I honestly can't believe this ride Storm has taken us on is almost over," Sara said.  "He has done so much for the racing world.  Won the Triple Crown, which he was the first in forty years.  He won the Grand Slam, which he was also the first in forty years for that, too.  And then he came back as a four year old to become the first Triple Crown winner to ever win the Dubai World Cup, something that has never been accomplished."

"I know," Luis said.  "It feels just like yesterday it was your birthday and Storm came into your life as a two year old.  But then he became a part of all of our lives.  And the ride he has taken us on has been amazing."