Present and Future

CHAPTER 1.

He was in his happy place.

Walking hand in hand with the woman of his dreams, he felt as if his feet were not touching the ground. All the wonderful feelings were swirling inside him. He did not remember the last time he felt like this. What he only knew was he only felt like this when he was with her.

But a small voice in his head was saying otherwise.

He ignored it and continued walking on a make-believe paradise.

He felt her soft lips pressed on his own. He did not realize his eyes were closed when they suddenly flew open due to the contact.

“Honey…” he croaked as his eyes adjusted to the light.

He heard her melodious chuckle. It was unusual. She did not chuckle that way.

“Honey?” she asked, laughter ringing in the end.

“Uy gusto ko yan, mahal!” she continued. Her voice sounded higher than usual. He intently looked at the woman in front of him in wonder.

“Tulog ka pa ata eh. Gising na… Rise and shine, mahal ko!”

How come she was so loud and cheery early in the morning? Alex was not usually like this.

Alex. His head started to ache.

“Mahal?” she continued calling out to him as she mirrored his confusion.

“Okay ka lang? May sakit ka ba?” she asked worriedly as she felt his neck with the back of her hand. She stopped when she felt him cringed under her touch.

“Ser Chief…”

His tensed shoulders sagged at the mention of his alternate name. Only one woman would call him that. And she’s not Alex.

“Maya?”

A pang of fear slowly made its way to her heart. The usual fondness he attached whenever he said her name was replaced with disappointment. It was instead echoed with sadness.

“Good morning. Sa wakas gising ka na,” she said, her energy lowering a little bit.

“What are you doing here?” he asked flatly, propping himself up in the bed.

His uninterested tone was disgruntling her. Something was wrong but she was determined not to let it get the better of her.

“Day off ko, mahal. Surpise!” she spread her arms in delight and proceeded to encircle him in a hug. She filled her nostrils with his scent and she was home.

He hugged her back and felt his heart beating wildly in his chest. Maya was so sweet. He closed his eyes as he treasured the moment. He was reminded of his happy place.

Maya pulled away from the embrace and searched for his face. He looked so gloriously handsome with his eyes closed.

“Mahal?”

He could hear her calling him in their wedding night.

“Honey…” her sweet voice ricocheted in his head.

“Happy anniversary,” the voice added.

Maya’s warm hand cupped his cheek. He slowly opened his eyes, tilted his head to the side and kissed the palm of her hand. He looked at her lovingly, his eyes unfocused and faraway.

Maya closed her eyes as he leaned in for a kiss.

“Happy anniversary, Alex,” his mind replied.