A Revelation for Eleanor

Daniel reluctantly returned to Somerton Manor, his business in town Daniel was not particularly feeling better later into his wedding night, as he lay in the bed next to his new little wife.

He had not been in a very good place in his head when he had ended up taking her. With Martha's mockery still ringing in his head, and feeling an angry frustration for this situation which he had no desire to be in.

The fact that Eleanor had been almost stiff and unmoving, and obviously a little frightened of him had not mattered, and so it had not been the most tender kind of lovemaking for either of them.

And as he lay with his back to her a little while later, he could hear her quietly weeping to herself,

His anger now melted away, and he felt a measure of guilt and remorse rise within him at his earlier actions towards her. He had never meant to come across so harshly or unfeeling on their first night together

But these last few years, he had refused to let himself care or become emotionally involved with any female, so that even now as he lay next to Eleanor he could not bring himself to let her know his feelings.

So instead, he found himself hardening his heart and his resolve. He reminded himself that she was quite aware he was not in love with her, and the arrangement was more out of duty to a deathbed promise to his father, than that of love and romance.

Besides, he decided he could handle her hating him.

Falling in love with him would be a bigger mistake, he did not deserve to be loved, and he did not want to be loved, his past experience had shown the results of that, so it was better this way.

And as hard as it was, he continued to ignore her weeping next to him, and refused to let it continue bothering his conscience.

*********************************************************

Eleanor had been married to Daniel for almost two months. But already it seemed like an eternity.

Her life with her Aunt and Uncle and cousins seemed like a distant memory, and one she longed to have back.

She found herself very much isolated and alone at Somerton Manor, with a husband who was barely ever there, and for the most part ignored her.

When he did speak with her it was in a very formal civil manner as if out of politeness, and not because he was particularly interested in her, except when it came to the bedroom. But she didn't even want to dwell on that.

The household staff made no attempt to make her feel welcome,

The housekeeper Martha, had implied that she had special favour with Daniel, and knew exactly what he liked and wanted around the house, spurning all Eleanor's gentle suggestions with a certain disdain.

Uncertain of exactly what kind of relationship Daniel had with the housekeeper, but having a sneaking suspicion it was more than employee and employer, Eleanor found herself letting Martha off with her insolence, certain that Daniel would be angry with her, if she complained about Martha's behaviour, and he would probably take her side in matters, as Martha only too often implied he would.

So she found herself creeping about, letting Martha tell her how things were usually done. Or avoiding the woman altogether.

The neighbours in the area never visited. Daniel was not a sociable person, and did not encourage friendly association with his neighbours, so no one called on his new wife to welcome her, So she found herself quite alone.

At first she attended the local church on Sundays on her own, as her husband refused to go.

But realising that the company her husband had kept and his reputation as a drunk and gambler, since he had returned to the district was not considered the done thing. So she found those who were respectable, kept their distance, and would only exchange a polite civil acknowledgment, but showed no desire to try and befriend her.