Part 2: The Protective Side

Okay, just a little update for those of you who did see my message or the change in this stories description:

I wrote this story offline during the summer with no means of accessing the interwebs. So, this story was being written while the Super Extended cut of FNaF the Musical was put out, so I did not see it until after the story was done and I had did all the little revisions.

So, for those of you who have seen the Super Extended cut, you know that everything turns out happy at the end, after some causalities. But, that's not the ending I was given to work with writing this, so let's say this...

Let's pretend that Night 5 of FNaF the Musical ended after Mark and Nate gave their shifts to AJ, and Bonnie said, "Weird, everything turned out okay!" Because I didn't want to fill in the details of MatPat FazBear, that's where it ended when this story began, one year later.

Thanks for listening to me babble!

-Apple

Mark's POV

I sat at the table, tearing a napkin into tiny little pieces. Anxiety made me need to do something with my hands. I looked up when the chair across from me scrapped the floor, and Nate sat down. "Hello, Mark," he said, smiling. My eyes glanced over his face quickly, taking in his caring eyes and messy hair. I looked back down, mumbling a swift "hello".

"Umm, do you want me to get you a drink? On me." I glanced up at the menu in front of me. It was covered in hot and cold drinks, and when I saw that they served milk tea, I placed my napkin down and picked it up. I hadn't had that in ages, and the thought made my stomach growl embarrassingly loud. "This one?" I said, sounding childish as I pointed to the photo of a green drink.

"Green apple milk tea. Got it." He stood and walked to the counter. I waited a few minutes for him, tearing my napkin further until I had two evenly sized piles of shredded paper in front of me. They were swept away, however, when Nate placed my drink down. "Thank you," I said, holding it in my hands. The cold cleared my head, I noticed, when I took a sip.

Nate sat again, placing a hot white drink in front of him. He folded his hands and I finally gave him a proper once over. He wasn't wearing his security uniform, but a black t shirt and jeans. His hair was pushed back, and he was wearing a pair of glasses I'd never seen before. They made him look nerdy. "So, how have you been?" he asked, stirring his drink. I caught a whiff of vanilla.

"Fine," I said, taking a sip of my own drink.

"Is that so?"

"I'm on anxiety pills." I don't know why I felt the need to point that out, but I did. "Two every four hours."

"I see." Nate pushed the glasses up his nose and sipped his drink. "What about with them?"

I sighed and played with my hair for a second. Might as well admit that I'm crazy. Especially in public. "I have nightmares. Every dream, they're there." My hands tightened on the cup, and I felt cold liquid run over my fingers, but I couldn't focus. My eyes felt glazed over, I wasn't at the table anymore.

"I've seen Foxy in my closet, even when I'm awake. I'm terrified to go into my own kitchen. I'm thinking of getting a dog to protect me... But what good would a dog do against them?" My heart was now hammering, and I couldn't see straight. I wanted to curl up in a ball. I wanted to get out of here. The cafe was a decent size, but, right now, it was too small. It reminded me of the close walls of that office, littered with pictures the children drew. Adorned with red smears­

"Mark, can you hear me?"

They came in closer, I could hear them.

"Mark, look at me, you're safe here."