Entry 4

Here's my entry that_one_giraffe! This is also a preview for a book that I'm writing.

"Ok Jane, I'll be downstairs making lunch. Come down in a few, ok?" My mother says. "Oh and, you will be packed." She pauses. "Tonight."

"Yes mom." I say, rolling my eyes. "You know that you've told me this like, a million time, right?"

"Yeah, because I've been telling you to pack for two weeks. You can't wait any longer. You leave tomorrow." With that she leaves my room, off to go make me lunch.

I look down at the bags strung across my room. "Ugh." I throw down a shirt. Did I have to leave tomorrow? Why couldn't it be in two weeks or two months, even two years. College sounded about as much fun as ranging alligators did.

I hear a loud bang and pause, listening for my mom to say that everything was fine, but I never heard anything. "Mom?" I call. The only response I get is another loud bang. I guess it's time to go check it out.

As I walk down the hall I hear a third bang, only this time it's followed by a crash. I sprint down the hall towards the kitchen. I hear footsteps, and from multiple people.

I peak around the edge of the hall wall. I see the backs of men, lots of men. I catch a glimpse of a gun and spin back around. Who were they? What did they want? I see my mom crouched beside the kitchen cabinets, and she too is holding a gun.

She looks up and sees me. In her eyes she looks scared, but she is acting brave. I'm sorry. She mouths.

What? I mouth back. She stands up leaving the gun on the floor.

"Hello. What brigs you into my home?" She asks happily, almost as if she was actually welcoming them. "Can I get you anything?"

"We need Jane Rose." Me? Why do they need me? I'm of no importance. I'm just a nineteen year old girl who's off to college tomorrow.

"Who? I've never heard of an Jane Rose." What? What was she saying." Ember Rose is your daughter. How hard is it to forget that your daughter's name I Ember Rose?

"Oh, cut the crap Melinda." Melinda? I've always thought that my mother's name was Jill. "We know that you've got her. Hand her over to us and no blood will be spilled and we'll leave peacefully."

"No." She grabs the gun. "If you're going to take her, then you're going to have to go through me."

The room bursts into a chorus of shouts and gunshots. The smell of gunpowder fills the air. I see my mom fall, as a hail of bullets pierce her body. "No!" I scream, ripping across the space between us.

I fall onto my knees beside her, tears pouring down my face. The kitchen island blocked the soldiers view of us. "Mom. Please stay with me, please." I beg. She had multiple bullets in her chest and one or two in her stomach.

She looks over at me. "Oh jane. I love you so much." Her breathing becomes slower as the pool of blood grows. "But," She gasps for air. "there's a lot that you don't know." Her eyes begin to close, but I give her a light shake to have her open them again.

"Like what? What don't I know?" I spit out.

"These men aren't-" She coughs up blood, splattering the kitchen island. "Your friends."

"Who are they mom?" I spit it out as fast as I can, but it's not fast enough. I feel as my mom takes her last breath, her body going limp beneath my hands.

I'm suddenly consumed by rage, rage to kill the men that killed my mother. I stand facing them. They had all surround the kitchen. I surveyed them, seeing what I was up against. There were at least twenty of them, and they were all armed, and I wasn't.

I leap at the first one, the one closest to me. I claw at his throat and face. I kick him hard in his manhood and he puts down his guard for a second, which is as much time as I needed. I push him to the ground and snatch the gun from his hands. I fire a round into his leg, a shot that would hurt him but wouldn't kill him.

He flinches but never cries out. The bullet sinks into his leg, but never touches his skin. Dang it bullet proof stuff, you suck. It may be useful sometimes, but it isn't right now. I hear a click but I don't move fast enough.

"Ah!" I scream as something pierces my shoulder. I look down and find a small metal dart. I grit my teeth and pull it out. It hurt, bad. My arm was bleeding, but it wasn't bleeding that bad.

"Tell him that we got her." One of them says.

"Already did it sir." Replies another.

"Good. As for you princess, I really don't like to be kicked there, so could you watch out next time?" The first one says. His voice is thee last thing I hear as I float away into unconsciousness.