She Was Alone :(

I remember vividly, I was on my way home from work when I got the call. I didn't think it was important so i let it go to voice mail. I kept driving no knowing what was waiting for me in my inbox, eating away at the speakers begging to be listened to.

I'll never not blame myself for not picking up. I'll never forgive myself for not pulling over and picking up my girlfriend's call. 

When i pulled into our drive way i got out my cell phone and saw the call ways Britch, my amazing girlfriend of 3 years. I opened my inbox and listened to her Beautiful voice. A smile spread across my face at her beginning.

"Hey, Charlotte. I hope you had a good day at work, I assume you're driving home. That's why you can't talk" I heard her sniffle and my smile faded. "I'm just calling to say i love you, just please know that. And don't come home. Please i don't want you to see this. Just..." I could hear her sob and my heart broke. I got out of the car, the phone still pressed to my ear.  "I love you Char, i hope you can forgive me.... Goodbye baby girl." Then my phone beeped to indicate the end of the message.

I ran into the house as fast as possible and ran around screaming out for her. I found her in the bathtub, fully clothed and in bloody water. She was alive but barely.

I called the police and jumped into the tub. I held her tightly as i tried to help her. I sobbed and cried for her as she was slowly drifting away.

I heard sirens and people storming through the house. Britch was unconscious and her breaths were short and slow. I gave the police and medics room, sobbing and crying trying to stay quite so the authorities can communicate. a female officer tried o comfort me as the paramedics tried to wake Britch. 

we got into the ambulance and i held Britch's cold hand. I willed her to wake as the medics tried everything. They were moving quickly until one medic felt her pulse and stopped in his tracks, looking shocked and worried. 

The others immediately started cpr and used an ied to try and wake her. I was in shock and i couldn't move or even make a noise, i just sat there, tears streaming down my face and completely still.

"She's...gone..." A paramedic rubbed my back, consoling me. 

I shook my head, "No, no there has to be something we can do..." i choked out.

They glumly shook their heads and i sat holding my dead girlfriends cold limp hand, trying so hard not to kill someone.

I felt dead, like my whole world was over. Like i had died along with her. I leaned back in my seat, i couldn't make any sound. The lump in my throat blocked even part of my breathing.

I felt the walls closing in on my and i felt panic rise in my abdomen. I began to shake uncontrollably as i curled into a ball on the seat. The doctors tried to help me but nothing could help me. I just lost my will to live all together. 

When we got to the hospital i got out and collapsed to the ground, crying, finally i let out the loudest most ugly sobs i'd ever heard, let alone made. 

"Do you know what could have made her do such a thing?" I was asked a few week later, i was emotionless and practically dead, even with our friends with me.

"She was alone, she was in the house with no one there. She called but i didn't answer because i was driving. She was alone and she might've felt empty and upset. She needed me and i wasn't there." I replied hoarsely. 

"It's not your fault..."

"No, but i promised to be there and i wasn't." I hissed, walking to my once shared bedroom and slamming the door. 

I.... I am not the one who is alone.