Prologue

"Shimmer Darling!" My mum called.

I ran to the kitchen and saw her baking brownies. My favorite.

Then out of no where five men came in to the house. Two swooped in through the windows, while three came in through the door. I backed away so they wouldn't see me, I was terrified.

"Where is she?" One man asked. He was the tallest. I couldn't see his face though, because of his mask.

"Wh-Who?" My mummy asked.

"The girl." Another man asked.

"I-I don't know who you are talking about." I slipped into a little secret passage way that my house has when my mummy gave me the look. I sat there and listened.

"You know perfectly well who we are talking about." This was a different voice. A more feminine voice.

"No, I honestly don't." My mom answered.

That's when I heard a scream, a piercing scream. It came from my mummy. I heard footsteps as they all left.

I felt that it was safe to come out, so I did and saw my mummy on the floor in a puddle of blood, dead. I instantly let the tears stream down my face and ran out of the house, after grabbing a dagger. I knew I would need it.

It's bad enough that I never knew my daddy, but now, at the age of five my mummy was taken from me.

****

That was the day I lost my mom, the day I was officially on my own. I quickly learned to do whatever it takes to survive.

I'm Shimmer Darklight and this is my story.