Chapter 15

"Sir, I really can't see what you're hoping to accomplish," said Alfred, studying Bruce Wayne with a quizzical raised eyebrow. "The police are doing all they can to find Mr. Dent..."

"And it's not enough," interrupted Bruce, firmly, as he dressed.

"And so you believe dressing in a costume is somehow going to improve the situation?" asked Alfred.

Bruce glared at him. "I'm not dressing like this for no reason," he muttered. "I'm going out there to find him."

"Dressed like that, sir?" repeated Alfred. "People are going to assume you're off to a party, or that you've forgotten when Halloween is."

"You don't think it'll strike fear into the hearts of the wicked?" asked Bruce, pulling on his cape.

"Not unless the wicked are five years old, sir," retorted Alfred.

"It's the best I can do on short notice," retorted Bruce, angrily. "I can't just sit around and wait for nothing to happen, Alfred. I have to do something to help find Harvey."

"Sir, I share your concern for Mr. Dent, but I certainly don't see what good this is going to do..." began Alfred.

Bruce reached into his makeshift utility belt, and held up a cigarette butt. "I found Harvey's trail into the grounds – it wasn't hard to follow. There were two sets of footprints leading away from there. And I found this in one of them. Harvey doesn't smoke these cigarettes. They're a very rich brand manufactured specially for Salvatore Valestra."

"The gangster?" said Alfred, raising his eyebrows further. "What can he want with Mr. Dent?"

"Nothing good, that's for certain," snapped Bruce, replacing the cigarette in his belt. "Which is why I have to find him before he gets hurt. I only hope I'm not too late."

"Have you informed the police that you believe Mr. Valestra is involved, sir?" asked Alfred.

"Yes. They told me they'd look into it," growled Bruce. "But I can't wait for them to act anymore, Alfred. I have to do something."

He pulled on his mask, shaped like a bat. "Good Lord, sir, you don't think this sort of action is a little...extreme?" asked Alfred. "A masked vigilante..."

"Sometimes you have to be extreme to get results," retorted Bruce. "And desperate times call for desperate measures. And this is a very desperate time for my best friend. I'm not failing him the way I failed my parents. I'm not going to let him die."

"Sir, what happened to your parents was not your fault..." began Alfred.

"But this will be," interrupted Bruce. "Harvey came to me for help. And he was kidnapped on my property. If anything happens to him, I will never forgive myself."

"No. But I sincerely wish you could, sir," murmured Alfred. "I wish you could forgive yourself for everything."

Bruce turned to go. "The mask is very good, sir," said Alfred, quietly. "I apologize for doubting you. It is an impressive outfit."

"It'll have to do," admitted Bruce. "Until I can make something better."

"Better, sir?" repeated Alfred. "You mean you intend to go out more than once in that costume?"

"I intend to do whatever it takes, Alfred," retorted Bruce. "To keep the people of Gotham safe. I won't let them down again."

Alfred grabbed his arm. "Master Bruce...I understand your concern for your friend, truly," he murmured. "But don't let that concern turn into an obsession. You are but one man, sir. You cannot save the world."