/lonely/

/simon/

I remember the day I was seated next to Olajide like the back of my hand.

It was a Tuesday, the first day back at college after an extremely uneventful summer. Second year.

I should've had so many friends by then. Should've been able to get along with anyone I was sat with, regardless.

Instead, I was lonely.

The teacher never really liked me, considering I'd never been the greatest at English, which explained why she sat me next to someone like JJ.

Never in a million years would we get along. I knew I was right in thinking that by the way he reacted when we were told we would be sat together.

'On the next table back- the single table on the far right- I want Simon Minter, and Olajide.'

'Are you having my fucking life?!'

'Olajide! I, in fact, am not 'having your life', nor am I having any of your insolence today. So I suggest strongly that you sit down, shut up, and get on with it.'

'Bitch.' he hissed it under his breath, but I still couldn't tell if it was aimed at me, or the woman at the front of the class. I didn't want to draw any more attention to myself, so I simply sat down.

JJ made as much of an effort to slide his chair away from mine, leaving a gap that looked more like a chasm between us.

He glared at me across the space, but I didn't retaliate. Instead, I looked away, simply staring down at my desk as my face grew warm.

It seems I've described everything as 'simple' so far.

Then again, things don't really get complicated when you're lonely.

~~
I'm not used to writing about a school setting, but hey ho.

Hope you all enjoy this first chapter, and if not, lemme know what I could improve! Xx