[Chapter 6] I Was The Problem

-Anthony's POV-

I rolled my eyes, "Why do you even care, Heather? It's not like the reason why is going to change anything. Kalel will still be missing, Ian will still be missing..."

"But you'll may realize something you never did before," She retorted quietly, "Anthony. There's only a few reasons a man your age would go to college. One being he couldn't afford it before, which I don't think, personally, is a problem for you at all. Secondly, you want to get a better education so you can get a better job, but what better job is there than one you love doing? And third being that you want to get away from something. What happened before you came to college to make you apply to Harvard?"

I gulped, "Uh..."

"Come on, Anthony," She begged, "I'm one of your friends, right?" I nodded my head, "Then you can tell me anything. It's not like I'm going to tell anyone. The only person I know here is you."

I ran my fingers through my hair, "Fine. Heather, you win," I turned away from her and started walking down the stairs, "I was the problem, okay?" I heard her footsteps behind me, "My whole Smosh career was getting to my head. I wanted more from it. I wanted more money so I could afford nice things for Kalel. I wanted more popularity so Ian and I would feel better about ourselves. I wanted it all."

I closed the front door which I had forgotten to close before, and was now flapping in the wind, "So, I started being really cocky," I chuckled a little, even Heather cracked a smile, "I...I went to the YouTube guys and asked for more. They told me they couldn't do that. But if I wanted more, they told me I should find another way to get that...that success.

"So I went on the Internet, looked up ways to become successful, and found Harvard," I walked into the kitchen and started closing the opened cupboards, "I didn't think I would get in, but sure enough, not a month later after I applied, I got an acceptance letter. It said that I would be a great addition to the school.

"So I bought my plane ticket for a closest flight to Massachusetts that night and I left. Not saying a word to Kalel or Ian. I wanted to surprise them. You know, give them my all when I came back home. But..."

"You come home with everything to give no one," She finished my sentence.

"I just wanted the best for them, Heather," I told her, walking around the kitchen counter and up to her so that our noses were almost touching, "You know that, right?"

She smiled, "I think it's sweet, Anthony. But...in my opinion, I think you really should've told them. But that's just my opinion, remember."

"I know," I started to walk away from her, "I'm an idiot. But how do I just tell the two most important people in my life, 'Oh, I'm leaving for four years to give you guys more'?" I turned around and saw Heather looking at me intently, "I mean, could you do it?"

She remained silent.

"Heather, could you do it?" I repeated.

She shook her head no.

"Exactly. So now you know how I feel..."

"No, wait..." She walked past me and picked up something from under the couch, another note. Though this was crumpled up into a ball. She unwrinkled it to the best of her abilities before holding it out in front of us. It was a plane ticket folder, with no tickets inside.

I snatched it out of Heather's hands, "No...fucking...way..."

Author's Note: Sorry for the short chapter, the next one will hopefully be longer (fingers crossed). Hope you like it so far! Don't forget to give me your feedback! -rac06h10ael