Chapter Twenty-Seven

Gwen bolted awake, screaming and sweating. She sat up in her bed and wiped the hot tears from her eyes, Dyfar's last words echoed around her mind and she shakily gripped the locket that hung on her necklace.

She stumbled out of bed and collapsed to the wooden floorboards of her shack, her hands scrambling for the dagger under her pillow. She noticed how the blade glinted in the moonlight that filtered through her curtains.

Gwen gripped it in both hands and raised it above her head. She saw no point in living if she couldn't protect the ones she loved. She closed her eyes and sucked in a breath.

"Forgive me, mama" she babbled, much like a child.

She quickly dropped her arms, gladly welcoming death. But the blade never stabbed her heart, she opened her eyes to see two strong hands gripping her own. It was that woman, the one who had given her Intel on the waste King.

Gwen sobbed and tried to pull her hands away, but the woman held firm. Gwen struggled and shook so much that a shining object slipped out of the top of the woman's jacket and hung in front of Gwen's face.

"Dragon-rider" she breathed.

"Empress" the Empress hissed.

She knelt in front of Gwen and smiled softly, gently taking the dagger from her grasp and sliding it across the floor to the other side of the room.

"You have too much to live for." She murmured in Gwen's pointed ear.

Gwen sniffled and looked into her blue eye, the one not covered by hair. "What do I have to live for?"

"Your mother is waiting" The Empress's voice was pained and wise.

"Can you do something for me?" The Empress asked kindly.

Gwen nodded and rubbed her eyes, Naur moaned in sadness and sent a happy signal to her rider's mind in an attempt to cheer her up. Dae sent her telepathic pictures of his favourite food and Gwen fought the urge to giggle.

"Form an assassination team with your father and my apprentice." The Empress said, Gwen looked at her strangely. "You'll understand why, one day" Gwen nodded.

Gwen cleared her throat and shakily stood up. She smiled as the Empress rubbed her back. The witch climbed back into bed and rolled over, the Empress sighed and walked out onto the veranda and climbed over the railing.

A distant roar made its way to her ears. She smiled joyfully and ran into the woods, dodging trees and animals until she reached a clearing where a large white dragon was siting on her haunches. Three smaller dragons chased each other around her. One was pure gold, the other was a dusty golden shade, and the third was pure white.

"Hello. Atta dear" the Empress smiled.

Atta smiled too, her silver nose ring glittering in the moonlight.

To be continued...