Chapter 19

Summer took her time getting ready that morning. She had no idea when everything started but, after overhearing last night's conversation she knew they wouldn't begin without her. In fact, she was certain this whole competition was just a test for her. Well it was time to show them what she really thought of all their underhanded decisions.

Ash had left for a brief moment during the morning so he could get cleaned up. He was back and had stayed close to Summer the entire time. She had a feeling that their relationship was pretty clear to everyone and there was no reason to hide anymore.

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Asked Tracy.

"It has to," answered Summer. "They either do what I say or I'll leave and I know they don't want that."

Summer walked straight past all the wielders at the base of the mountain and up towards the council members. She held her head high as she approached them.

"Good morning," said Jasper a little too loudly. She could sense his anxiety and completely ignored it.

"I need to speak with the elves and the council," she said.

"Of course," said Jasper. He glanced at Ash and her friends.

Summer locked eyes with him. "They stay."

Jasper laughed nervously and walked into the woods. A few minutes later he returned with the elves who looked slightly intrigued.

"Hello Summer," said Nareh. "You wanted to speak with us?"

Summer folded her arms. "I'm not finishing this elimination and neither are the other wielders. We're going back to the castle and you two will be training everyone. Not just a few hand-picked people."

Everyone looked floored. Only Mario, who she hadn't spoken much with, grinned. He looked like he was trying to suppress a laugh.

"That wasn't the agreement," said Van.

"You need me, right?" Asked Summer. "I have the marks of the Phoenix and I don't remember anyone ever asking what I thought about all of this."

Nareh nodded and looked pleased. "You are very right. We never asked your opinion."

"Thank you," replied Summer. "If you don't want me to leave the training facility and disappear then you'll agree to my terms."

"But the elimination challenge," stuttered Jasper.

"Is insane," growled Ash.

Summer held up her pointer finger. "But it did prove one thing. That the elements work better as a team. There's no way I would have made it to the end without people helping. So," she said, staring at everyone, "We do this together or I leave."

Van was the first to react. He walked over and clasped her shoulder. "Finally, the first person to make sense out of all these morons. We start training the morning we get back. Go tell the other wielders what you did. Be proud."

Summer smiled and sighed in relief. "Thank you."

She left with her friends in two. Once they were out of earshot Tracy burst into laughter.

"I can't believe that actually worked," she said, patting her back. "Jasper is going to be pissed."

"Jasper would be even more upset if the elves left," said Ash.

"I figured as much," said Summer. "So it looks like your private meeting really helped me last night."

"Uh, what?" Asked Zach.

Ash's cheeks turned bright red. "That's not what she meant."

Summer laughed and practically skipped back to her tent. It was the first time she had stood up for herself since being here and it felt amazing. Things were going to be on her terms now and she didn't care what the council thought.