Chapter 3

My phone has been ringing all day.

Not just my personal cell either. The house phone has been ringing non-stop since about seven this morning...it's one in the afternoon. I know I'm being a coward by not answering, but I can't help it. I know it's Ariel. She's calling to tell me to get the hell out of her house because I'm a home-wrecking slut that doesn't understand boundaries. At least, that's what I imagine she would say. I'm so lost right now. I haven't left my bed all day. Last night with Marcus made me feel like the biggest liar in the world. I felt like I had somehow betrayed him. In fact, I wouldn't be opposed to him calling me Benedict from now on. Every time I close my eyes, I see the hurt look on his face. Like I had lied to him, and led him on, like I had told him his music sucks and that he should give it up to go to clown school, like I was a watered down version of Ariel at her wedding.

But that doens't matter. My brief friendship with him is probably over. I wouldn't be surprised if he left town after he walked out of the hospital. Sad as it sounds, he was the last person I had left to talk to. Well, he was pretty much the only person since I couldn't tell anyone about the baby. My phone began to vibrate and I blew out a breath. I was not ready to deal with her yet. I don't think I ever will be. How does one tell their best friend, their family, that they betrayed their trust and slept with their fiancee? You can't. You don't. You pack your things and run for the hills and hope that they never ask questions. I hopped out of bed and grabbed the suitcase out of the closet. I flew around my room, packing my big clothes and loose fitting jeans. In a couple months, I wouldn't be able to fit anything but these so it didn't make since to bring it all.

Just as I'd finished with half my dresser, the doorbell sounded, followed by a heavy pounding on the door. I froze. The only people that every come by this early are for Ariel, and they all know she's out of town. I definitely wasn't expecting anyone...unless it was Ariel. My heart began to pound in my chest. She wasn't so furious that she would fly back here just to curse me out, would she? The Ariel I knew wouldn't do that, but then again, I didn't really know her. The pounding continued and it made me jump. "Okay Roxanne, stop being scared. You made your bed, now you have to lay in it." I told myself as I marched toward the door. "Marcus?"

"About damn time..."

"Please, come in." My sarcastic remark got me a scowl from him.He muttered, pushing past me into the house. What was he doing here? I waited for him to explain, but he just shook his head and kept walking. "Hey!" I yelled, following him. Who does he think he is? "You can't go back there!"

"Pipe down, you're breaking my concentration." I gaped at his back as he opened door after door.

"I don't care! This is not your house!" I ran in front of him and planted my back on Ariel's bedroom door.

"Move."

"I don't think so."

"Roxanne, move, before I make you."

"I guess, you'll just have to use force because I'm not moving until you tell me what you're doing here." Marcus pursed his lips and blew out a breath.

"I'm not here to fight with you."

"Good, because I don't have the energy to fight with you either."

"Pregnancy takes a lot out of you huh?" His eyes narrowed, and that stupid smirk of his came into view.

"What do you want?" I'm not going to let that comment get to me. I know he was still mad.

"How does it feel to be kept in the dark about something?"

"That's not fair! You can't expect me to just tell you everything about my life, we don't even know each other."