Chapter Three

Blair stalked through the crowd following Ashton through the mall doors and onto the busy streets. She snuck past the groups of tourists keeping an eye on Ashton the whole time. He crossed the street and snuck into an alley way, Blair followed at a distance trying to stay in the crowd for as long as possible. She ducked into the alley only to see Ashton hopping a fence that divided it in half, Blair ran to it and crouched looking through a niche in the wood.

Ashton grabbed the dark figure from behind throwing him to the ground. Blair looked at the boy; he was their age, his dark brown hair was wet with sweat and blood, his eyes where squeezed shut from pain as he squirmed under Ashtons weight. He finally managed to get away but Ashton grabbed his collar and hit him in the gut. The boy tried to fight back but wasn’t strong enough, Ashton threw him onto the brick wall and the boy began to cough up blood. Blair turned away no longer able to watch, she felt numb and weak. She sat there for a few more seconds trying to regain her sanity; she took a few deep breaths, stood up as the flight reaction kicked in and ran.

Blair ran up her empty drive way and onto her front porch. She took her keys from her pocket, hands still shaking and fiddled with the lock until the door opened. She walked in locking the door behind her. She felt warm tears slide down her cheeks and chocked back a sob. Her best friend was a murderer!

Blair couldn’t take it; she was becoming more paranoid each second, the victims face was imprinted in her mind and she couldn’t help wondering if she was next. She paced around the empty house locking all the doors, windows and checking every hiding place she could think of. She ran up to her room closing the door behind her and collapsing to the ground, she remained there watching sun set through her window and silently crying for at least ten minutes. She pulled herself onto her feet and walked into the bathroom, she hoped that a hot shower would help ease the stress but it did nothing. She changed into her pyjamas and threw herself onto the her bed, she pulled the blankets over her head and fell asleep right away thanks to the adrenalin rush and stress wearing her out.

She met up with Ashton at their favourite coffee shop, he gave her a smile and handed her a hot chocolate. She thanked him and they left the warm building and walked onto the unusually empty street. Ashton pulled her closer to him and then moved her so she was now facing him, for a second she thought he was going to kiss her but then the scene changed. She looked around to see the buildings disappearing as if they where mist. Ashton turned to face her again, a cruel grin formed across his face. Blair’s heart sank and fear began to seep through her veins, Aston’s eyes grew dark and he struck her. Blair whimpered and tried to get away, he tugged at her wrists and hit her again. "Stop!" she screamed, Ashton laughed and threw her to the floor. She landed hard and was now lying on her back and crying out in pain, Ashton began to kick her and she could almost hear her bones crunching. He pulled out a knife and her scream echoed across the realm.

Blair jolted herself into consciousness and looked around her surroundings. The room was dark and full of shadows. She shivered under the cover of the warm blankets, the place felt like the icy screams in the movies; the calls for help left unanswered. Was the victim now haunting her? Seeking vengeance for being a coward? She could not tell, but she knew she was haunted. It kept her up until her body took over and forced her back into the emptiness.