iSuprise

iSurprise

Jenny had always been fascinated by science fiction, she was especially intrigued by the idea of time travel. One thing she desperately wanted was to travel in time, to see the glory of the past and the splendor of things to come.

A few months before her life changed she dropped her iPod, splintering the screen. After a month or two Jenny figured it was time to get it fixed. She sent it to a friend, who was a bit of a techno-geek, to get the screen replaced. Two months and several internal complications later she finally got it back.

She sat on her bed playing on her iPod, while she should've been doing her homework. She checked the time, it was 7:11, or 19:11 as her iPod actually read. She decided she should probably get back to her history essay, of course, she still had to find a topic, so why not use her history app. When she'd found a good one she reached beside her for her notebook, but it wasn't there.

Looking up Jenny saw a room, the same size as hers but definitely not hers. Floral wallpaper covered the walls, she was sitting on an ornate desk, and the carven wood bed sat in the far corner. On that bed sat, in utter atonishment, a girl dressed in a floor length dress with lace cuffs and collar.

"Who, may I ask, are you?" asked the bewildered girl on the bed.

"Who am I, who on Earth are you?" Jenny replied indignantly.

"I am Elizabeth Joann Keep." said the girl, now identified as Elizabeth.

"Oh," Jenny replied slightly off-put, "ok, I'm Jenny." she stuck out her hand out of habit. Elizabeth gazed at the out stretched hand in some confusion. Jenny lowered her arm seeing that tis girl had no idea how to respond to it. "Um, Elizabeth, can I ask what day it is?"

"The date is April the fifteenth, the year of our Lord, 1912."

"What?"

"I beg your pardon, but how did you come to be in my room, and why are you wearing such immodest clothing?"

"For the first question I haven't the faintest idea. But these are normal clothes for 2012."

"2012? I say, how can that be?" Elizabeth exclaimed starring at Jenny as if at an alien.

"Wait you said it was April fifteenth?"

"Yes."

"1912?"

"Yes. Why do you ask?"

"Do you have a newspaper?"

"No, it has not yet arrived."

"Come on, we have to go outside."

"You can not go anywhere in that." Elizabeth pointed out referring to the tee-shirt and shorts in which Jenny was dressed. "I have frocks that will fit you." Elizabeth began searching through her wardrobe, finally withdrawing a green dress and several petticoats.

"You expect me to wear this?"

"Unless you wish to be sent to jail for going about in your undergarments."

"Ok, I'll wear 'em." Elizabeth left the room while Jenny changed and went into the hall feeling completely ridiculous and at least five pounds heavier. Together they snuck out of the house and into the street. Jenny stood outside gazing at the address of the house they'd just exited, reconizing it as her own.

"You wished to find a newspaper?"

"Yeah. Right, come on." They didn't need to go far before finding a young boy yelling advertisements of the newspapers. He let the girls look at one.