One

"The cake Madeline! The cake!" My mother cried as she practically flung across the room to rescue the falling bits of vanilla and pastry cream that were meeting their fate with the tile floors.

I'm not entirely sure whether I was frozen due to fear or laziness but regardless of which, I failed to move and inch and instead settled on squeezing my eyes closed and hoping for the best.

A loud crash sounded throughout the kitchen as I open one of my eyes carefully to the sight of a dozen squares of various cake samples splattered on the floor. The metal tray was upside down leaning against the bottom of the counter and my mother was swimming in a sea of pastel hued frostings.

"MADELINE!" She roared sitting up abruptly, her eyes blazing with fury, jaw clenched, her tiny hands balled up into fists as her face reddened with her oncoming rage.

"Mother dear-" I started as I began to bend down and pick up the mess I had made.

"Oh don't you 'mother dear' me! Do you have any idea how much these samples cost? You and Nate have only a few months before the wedding and neither of you have agreed on the cake!"

"Agree to disagree..." I mumbled to myself.

"The floral arrangements are a disaster, your dress needs to be altered, your hair and makeup trial still needs to be scheduled, the church needs to be notified, the-"

"Mother I know! Everything will be taken care of we have 3 months! That's a lot of time!" I whisper yelled as my mother picked frosting out of her hair.

"That's not-"

As if on queue, the man of the hour walked in. The large grin on his face faltered as he saw the mess that lied before him.

"Madeline..." Nate began as he looked to the floor and then met my eyes.

"Nate..." I replied with a lopsided smile as I stood up to greet him.

"Next time I'll be sure to go alone to the cake sampling." He stated as he gave me a quick kiss to the cheek. He tugged on my arm until we vanished from the kitchen of the catering hall and made it to the hallway, leaving my mother alone to sulk.

"I know how stressed you've been but please don't make this any harder than it has to be. We need to stay on schedule with the wedding planning, cake was supposed to be today but now we're behind. And now I have to leave for my business trip tonight..." He let a breath out I hadn't noticed he'd been holding and diverted his eyes to the ceiling.

"I'm sorry baby I'm sorry. You know how I am with these things." I apologized as I went to give him a kiss. He turned his head slightly, causing my lips to collide with his smooth cheekbone rather than his small but smooth lips.

"If it makes you feel any better, I pulled a few strings so you wouldn't have to be alone tonight." He smiled gently, pulling me back into him to kiss me quickly.

"You mean you're not leaving?!" My eyes lit up and my smiled widened as I held onto every word he said.

"As much as I wish, no." He frowned but immediately composed himself.

"Then what-"

"I booked you and Thea a room at the plaza for tonight and somehow someway got the seamstress to make her way there to do your dress alterations tonight." He smiled, handing me two room keys to the penthouse suite.

"Are you sure I can't just give you that room key instead of Thea?" I switched my tone of voice, pulling his tie down to connect our lips once more.

"I'm sure. I'm sorry Maddie it's just I really can't miss this meeting. It's my last one for a month and then I only have one more left before the wedding." He laced our fingers together as he lead me to the car.

"Thank you though Nate. Really, thank you." I forced a smile as he helped me into the car. He gave me a swift kiss goodbye and shut the door. As the driver began to pull away I unrolled the window and stuck my head out,

"I love you! I'll see you in two days have a safe flight I love you I love you I love you!"

He turned around and waved, a huge smile over taking his face as he screamed out,

"I love you too!"

The farther away I got, the quicker I realized that I forgot my phone charger back at our house but Nate was already on the phone, walking away and into a taxi.