The Change

ÿþToday was the day that Zoe had been dreading, she could already feel the affects starting and it wasnt even midday. This day was different, this was the birthday that changed her life completely. Zoe was the last teen in the pack to go through the change, she never knew how or why it happened but everyone born into the pack had their 16th birthday on a full moon. She knew it had been coming since she turned 15 and had been searching for away to stop it.

"Miss Monroe. Answer the question!" Her science teacher snapped.

She shook her head and looked up at the board, she knew the answer but she couldnt speak. Her mind had drawn a blank, only thinking about the painful change she would go through that night. If there was any possible way to stop it, Zoe would have done it.

"I don't know the answer sir," Zoe said firmly, she wasn't lying after all. Her teacher looked at her with disappointment but she didn't care, she had more important things to worry about.

The rest of the day was pretty much the same, but her mind was on her impending painful change. The pack had a tradition, on a cubs 16th birthday they would throw a massive party to celebrate their transformation into a wolf. This had also been something that Zoe had been dreading, she hated parties especially ones that ended in everyone watching as she convulsed over the floor in pain.

She got home from school to find her mother setting up for the biggest party she has ever thrown, the whole pack was invited including the leaders. That was the part her mother was most excited about, showing off her newly transformed wolf daughter to the leaders. That was another tradition, all the girls who transformed would be shown off for the leaders and they would choose the best female wolf to be paired and mated with one of their sons. The pair would then become the next generation pack leaders.

Zoe winced at the sudden thought of it all. She went up to her room to try to get her mind off of everything that was happening. Her homework was always her saviour from her thoughts, her mind was a troubled place which she often wanted to leave. Before she knew it, it was time for the party. Time to parade around like she wants to transform, like she can't wait for it to happen.

"Happy birthday Zoe!" Everyone yelled as she walked into the room. She spied the two leaders sons standing around, looking proud and waiting to be paired. Zoe scoffed at the thought, although she did have a crush on one of them. She danced around the room, saying her hellos and putting on a smile.

Just before midnight everyone gathered in the family room, waiting for the moon to be in its full phase. Zoe could feel that it was almost time, she couldn't fight it anymore, she was going to transform and it was going to be painful. As she stood in the middle of the pack, she could feel the moons affects growing in her body.

Her pulse started racing and her blood began to boil. The wolf was beginning to take over her body. Searing pain shot through her limbs as they started to transform into wolf legs and paws, scruffy brown fur began sprouting from her skin. Then the convulsing began, she tried not to scream from the pain, she tried not to cry. After the last burst of pain, the transformation was complete.

Through her new eyes she could see the other wolf girls of her age transformed too, they stood in a row waiting judgement from the leaders. They looked over each and every one of them, assessing every inch of their wolf forms. Then the decision was made.

"My son Brad will be paired with Zoe Monroe."