Chapter 17 - Sneak Peek

July 26, 2013

8:31 PM 

“There. You’re finally ready.” Clara says with satisfaction, stepping back as she finishes the last tweak to my mask. She spent the last eight hours preparing me for the evening, which begins in twenty nine minutes. Nausea begins to swirl in my stomach, though partly may be due to the fact that Clara had to sew me in to my ball gown. 

“Are you sure about this dress?” I ask her with concern, patting my increasingly numbing form. 

“Look for yourself.” 

I stand from the chair Clara nearly tied me to for the last few hours. My legs are wobbly, not helped by the strappy heels she forced me to wear. Holding her arm for balance, and very much questioning how I’m supposed to go running around in this get-up for the next three hours, I waddle over the the mirror. 

When my eyes make contact with the mirror, I’m stunned.

“Wow. I look...” I stutter, failing to come up with a suitable word for my appearance. 

“Your sister told me how much you love The Little Mermaid. I hired a friend from Venice to create the pink gown Ariel wore in the palace, except in your signature color. He did an excellent job, I must say. And so did I.”

“I..I love it. Thank you!” I pivot as quickly as I can in this confining, albeit beautiful, dress and wrap my arms around my future mother-in-law. 

I keep my arms wrapped around her shoulders for a few seconds before she playfully shoves me off. 

“Enough mushy stuff. You have a husband to find.”