Twenty Nine

Maine froze, she was definitely taken aback by her question. That one short moment felt like forever, he can't wait for someone or something to break the moment.

"Maine ...." Liam's mom whispered.

"Po?" she asked, nervously. Liam's mother is the Filipino one that's why speaking in Tagalog will be easy for the both of them.

"Binibiro lang kita." she then said, smiling.

"Ahhh ...." that's all she said before breathing out a sigh of relief. Maine knows that if his mother is serious with her question, she wouldn't be able to answer. The thing about Liam's mom is that she's very straightforward, and that can come off as being tacky sometimes. Nonetheless, Maine still thinks she's a great woman and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

"Ah ... Pa-pasok po kayo." she told her and so she did.

Maine's heart is still pounding. She knows that whatever the reason it is that his Mom is here it can't be good.

"Asan si Balae?" she asked, pertaining to Mrs. Mendoza.

"Boracay Po. Vacation with her siblings and friends." she answered. Maine held Liam's hand for support and gripped her tightly. It's not the kind of grip that hurts her though, it's his way of showing his support.

Finally, Maine had the courage to ask why she's here.

"Tita, do you have a business meeting here in the Philippines?" she asked, hoping for a nod. 

"Actually, no. I'm here for a 2-week vacation. I miss Liam and Charlie so much. Where is Charlie by the way?"

Maine glanced at Liam, and she saw him giving her an I-TOLD-YOU-SO look.

"He's with his Dad." she replied, ready to hide under the chair for the rest of her life.

"You mean that Alden guy?"

"Yes, Tita."

"What? why? you hate him right?"

"I hated him for five years. But we're in good terms now Tita, so no worries." she replied, only to see her give Liam a look. That's when a thought crossed Maine's mind .... that's when she realized that Mrs. Mason was asked to come here by her own son. Liam wanted her to come, and now she's here to keep an eye on everything.

"Oh okay, funny how times change."

Maine just gulped before directing them towards the kitchen. Liam not saying a single word doesn't even surprise her, she knows how much he respects his mother.

"Funny indeed."

---

Alden and Charlie spent the rest of the day playing in the backyard. The young kid took a swim, played in the swing set and even made mud castles. For Alden, it was a day well spent.

"What do you wanna eat for dinner?" he asked Charlie after the two of them stepped out of the bathroom.

"Fries."

"Charlie, what did I say about fries?"

"They're not for dinner?"

"Exactly, come on now ... I'll cook bacon strips for you ...  you like bacon right?" he asked, making Charlie nod his head eagerly. Alden then carried him down to the kitchen and they started cooking.

"Charlie, can I ask you a question?" he asked.

"Okay."

"How's your Mom?"

"Good, but I think she's sad."

"Sad? why would she be sad?" he asked before opening the bacon's packaging.

"You're not there." Charlie replied. Alden froze, he turned around and asked him why he felt that way. That answer made him realize that Maine was right, Charlie's maturity is beyond his age.

"I don't know. Mommy's happier whenever she's with you."

"How do you know that, sport?"

"I just do." Charlie answered before smiling, letting Alden see the dimples he got from him.

"Your Daddy Liam is still there, he makes her happy too."

"But she's happier with you."

"She is?"

"Yes ... cook bacon now."

"Oh ... okay." he replied before turning his view back to the pan. Alden cooked the strips and placed them on a plate. He then sat next to Charlie and started asking questions again.

"Charlie, do you love Mommy?"

"Of course!" he replied right way.

"How about Daddy Liam?"

"Yup."

"How about me?"

"I do."

Alden wants to be happy but he can't. There's something about Charlie loving the three of them that bothers him. His heart sunk, the feeling of guilt has started to crawl it's way towards him.

"Charlie , which Daddy do you like better?"

"You."

"Thank you." that's all he said before patting his son's shoulder. Alden then sighed before grabbing his phone. He walked away from Charlie and called Paolo.

"Hey Pare, kumusta?" his friend asked from the other end of the line.

"Okay lang .... brad ..."

"Oh ano?"

"I think I made a mistake."

---

"Liam , please be honest ... did you call your Mom?" she asked him the moment they were left alone. Maine wants to knows the answer, she wants to know the truth why all of this is happening.

"I did, but I did not tell her to come. She did that on her own."

"Why? What did you tell her? Don't you trust me?"

"I do. It's just that I can't help but be uncertain about us."

"Do you think I'm cheating on you?" Maine asked right away. She knows that up to some extent, she is. He is not the only guy in her thoughts anymore. Alden's back and as much as she tries to, she just can't shake him off.

"Maine ..."

"Answer me please."

"Ma-"

"Answer me!"

"Fine! Yes, I'm sorry if I feel that way but I can't stop it." Liam answered. Maine started tearing up, she then hugged Liam tightly and rubbed his back to comfort him.

Maine feels guilty. God knows how much she loves Liam but things have changed and she just can't ignore them.

"I'm sorry." she whispered with her eyes closed.

"So are you?"

"What?"

"Are you cheating on me?"

---

guys!!! last 6 chapters na :) x stay tuned !!