The Motivation

"Kyono! Kyono come here now!" Timoret called out from the hut. I wasn't ready to come inside yet. At least not until I finished gathering the lilacs and glassweeds for his award ceremony.

"Now Kyono!"

"Fine! I'm busy. Just give me a moment" and before I knew it his hulking shadow blocked out all the sunlight. He was glaring at me as best he could while he tried to hide that he was laughing.

"What's so funny?" I crossed my arms and glared back in defense to his belittling smirk.

"I've been trying to get you to act like a lady all your life and the day that I'm leaving is when you want to behave? By the way those aren't lilacs".

"Whatever. Let's just go back home. I can buy the flowers from Hameria later. But now I need to change".

"You better put on that dress Mom made for you".

"Well who's gonna make me!" I giggled then regretted when I saw the flash of hurt in Timoret's eyes. "I'm sorry--".

"Sorry for what. For being the only girl at the ceremony in pants and a leather shirt?" he laughed. I laughed too. I do like my leather shirts.

"Let's make a deal. If you wear a dress then we'll go on a big adventure. Just you and me. We'll go see the birth of a star". I had no words. This deal was the opportunity of a century and no dress was going to mess it up for me, no matter how doofy it'd look.

* * * * * * * * *
There is no greater pride than mine that I feel at this moment. My brother is a champion warrior and adventure and he's about to be recognized for his amazing work.

"And we present this award to... TIMORET! For his numerous discoveries and great work as warrior and peacemaker!" I leaped up before the announcer could even finish (another mistake in this borgeouis crowd).

"And give it up for my fireball sister. None of this would've been possible without her. Matter of fact, applause for all the men up here with me so put their lives on the line!" Timoret yelled one again saving my skin from total embarrassment AGAIN. Sigh...

His speech was pretty great once you fast forward through all the boring parts.

"We only have to fear ourselves. Only we hold ourselves back. We mustn't fear change. Change is what keeps us sane. Sane and alive. Thank you" and he bowed gracefully as the applause was so loud it felt like the Earth was shaking.

Wait a minute. Why is the ground rumbling?

I searched behind me towards the woodlands saw clouds of dust billowing toward us. But that can't be? I looked toward Tim and it looks like he felt that same movement from atop the wooden stage.

"RUN! IT'S AN ATTACK!" he shouted to the crowd. The crowd fled like roaches, one on top of the other. The brothers stood firm but I saw they were taken aback.

I ran on the stage to Timoret. "Why aren't you doing anything?!". Crap. No swords. It was a light garden ceremony so weapons would be too much for them.

"Grab anything we can use to our advantage! Isaac go warn the people. Jeof go alert the warriors. The rest of you stay with me. This is an ambush".

"What about me? What should I do?".

"Go home Kyono. It's not safe" he looked at me completely stonefaced. There's no way I could argue. I did as I was told and ran like the little girl I was.

* * * * * * * *
That bastard! He made me run! I should've stayed to fight! My thoughts ran wild. I was livid. How dare he! I will not stay here. I will not leave him alone! But if I go we'll both be in trouble.
At that exact moment a loud bomb exploded in my ear shaking the photos off the wall. Followed by a blinding flash of light. Must be the Terrainians. Or maybe the Elans? Whoever it is, they can't be faced alone.
* * * * * * *
I got on the battlefield and all my natural instincts kicked in. Knives blazing, I hurled them wherever the enemy was (and I never miss). Disposing of all my knives, I drew my sword and ran toward my brother pressing my back against his.

"I thought I told you to go HOME" he hissed hacking off the arm of an assailant.

"I couldn't leave you!" I yelled over the cries of battle while pushing my sword through the belly of an enemy.

Silence.

"Watch your three!" he yelled and I smiled.

Through the gaps of carnage, I saw a strange group leave the dark of the forest. Next thing I knew I was deaf, blind, and mute.

As sound and sight slowly came back I searched the smoke. There was a crater where I once stood.

Then the cries along with the heavy pounding of boots from our warriors drew near. If I don't move now I'll be trampled.

I looked around for Tim. He was nowhere to be found.

"Tim? Tim!!"

I spotted him disappearing into the dark of what used to be a friendly forest.

No words. Just running. Just tears. I was too late... He was gone. I tried to run after him but the light began fading again. Darkness ensued. I had been shot. But before the world faded to black I caught a glimpse of a witch and her wicked smile.

Smile now bitch. You won't be smiling when I put a stake through your heart.

Enjoying the story so far?
Please vote and leave comments 😆