Cursed Siren, The Beginning, Chapter 2: The Happenings

• Dedicated to Kellie

Chapter 2: The Happenings

          Now that Black Spirit was on board, everyone kept out of its way (Black Spirit had insisted everyone call him/her as "it" instead of telling them his/her gender), but it had proven itself to be able to join the Cursed Siren.

            Black Spirit was as strong as any of the other men in the crew. Though everyone else sweated severely in the hot weather, Black Spirit didn't seem to mind the heat, it even wore its cloak on at all times, masking its identity. Black Spirit could pull the riggings together faster than any, climb up the mast the quickest, and can even lift up one or two barrels of grape wine at the same time.

            Some of the others even compared Black Spirit to Burly Billy.

            Though his name may quite some comical, he was not the one to mess with. His entire body rippled with muscle, an old battle scar also here and there. The tattoos were also very intimidating, one said "One look at is one slit in the throat" and another were even more gruesome, with the words "Gore", "Slice", "Maul" added.

            On the 5th week out at sea, something exciting had happened. Burly Billy, tired of the comments saying that Black Spirit may be stronger than him and being teased afterwards, he got up and roared, challenging Black Spirit on the spot for a test of strength. Black Spirit, who was merely leaning against the mast and twiddling a silver dagger in its hands, didn't flinch at all. It was quiet for a moment then said in a dangerously soft voice, "I don't think that's a good idea, you might be forever shamed."

            "And why is that?" Burly Billy spat out.

            "Because, I sense your aura weak, though everyone believes you to be great and mighty. But truth is, you are weak, you are nothing, you had to beat and claw your way up to the reputation you have now. No one would ever believe you to be the man you are now. And you will never, ever, amount up to me." Black Spirit paused there, still twiddling with the dagger.

            There was a mighty crash, Burly Billy had keeled over in a dead faint at these words, all the sausage and cream scared out of him.

            Nervous laughs broke out quietly but were quickly hushed up as Black Spirit swept the onlookers with its gaze. Then, satisfied, it went back to its original space at the mast and continued to twiddle with the dagger as if nothing had happened.

            Everyone was still gazing at each other before Nott came out.

            Surprised to see them all inactive, he shouted out, "Oy! Why aren't ye working? I'll have you walk the planks if I ever see this again!" And then stormed off.

            The men were really frightened now, since when had Burly Billy been ever affected by words of threats? When had Black Spirit taken the reputation of being the best on here? And why, why, WHY was kind Nott acting like a grumpy and crazed pirate?

            They had little time to ponder on this as they heard the pounding steps of Nott returning, quickly and trying to busy themselves, none noticed that Black Spirit was helping at all.

            In fact, it was just staring out at the ocean, absent-mindedly stroking its silver dagger. Speaking in the same hoarse but soft voice, it said, "The time for the ocean's reign has come to an end, and you, Captain Armada, I know what you are hiding, and I'm not afraid to rip it out of you." And then it stabbed its silver dagger into the wall lining the ship and carved a single symbol.

            Anyone who had studied ancient writings would've fled from the sight of the symbol, for it was the symbol of terror and chaos. Bad things always happened at where the symbol was ever carved, and just the Cursed Siren's crew's luck, the symbol had been completed, it glowed faintly violet for a moment, before fading away, but the curse was still sealed there, and it was to be activated at the right moment.