Chapter One

* THE HUNTED is a sequel to THE HUNT. I highly suggest that you read the first installment before continuing. THE HUNTED also contains spoilers/connections to the other stories on my profile. You don't need to read my other works to understand or enjoy this story but if you plan to read my other titles or are in the middle of reading one ~ you have been warned! Enjoy and thanks for reading! * 

The Hunted

Chapter One 

The car was absolutely silent.

I could have left it alone, could have allowed the silence to fester but I had trouble leaving things be. So I opened my mouth. And I regretted it.

"It's strangely nice to all be together," I rambled as I watched the windshield wipers combat the heavy rain. "You two haven't spoken since the night that Cerberus showed up at Ben's place."

I watched Grant's hands tense on the steering wheel and Ben's shoulders stiffen along his seat. "I wouldn't call it nice," Grant said tersely. "I can think of about a hundred things that would better suit that adjective."

Ben sighed. "This is a lot nicer than what I've been through this past week."

Grant rolled his eyes. "It's your fault you were caught."

Ben's hand tightened on his knee. "The entire pack surrounded me. I was in my other form with no human sense—how was I supposed to outwit them?"

Grant shrugged, not budging an inch. "You should have shifted somewhere else."

"I don't have that sort of control," Ben said bitterly.

"And that's why you're a criminal," Grant spat.

Ben cast a dark glare towards Grant. "Apparently I'm not the only rogue here."

Grant's glare was darker. "I'm not a rogue, mutt."

"Then what do you call a wolf without a pack?" Ben challenged.

"Okay," I said, "maybe we should turn on the radio—"

"I have a pack," Grant countered, eyes straying from the road. "I am taking a break—"

"Who is your Alpha?" Ben shot back.

Grant's face was starting to heat up. "We don't—"

"Not a pack then."

"Guys," I cut in, "could you turn on the radio? Maybe a little bit of soft rock—"

"Maybe I'm not with a pack right now but I could join one at any time. You can't. You can only pretend—does that bother you, Ben? Does it bother you that you can only pretend to have things regular wolves can? Like a pack or a mate?"

"Grant," I warned lowly. He was still on edge after witnessing Ben and I's reunion. He hadn't taken watching Ben and I embrace very well.

Ben's face was a mask of bruises. "I am not pretending to have a mate." I felt my stomach twist. This was going nowhere good.

Grant laughed cruelly. "Sure, you claim Morda is your mate but what can you give her? Can't protect her because you can't shift. Can't build her a home because you're a nomad. Can't give her children because—"

"Grant!" I called sharply. "That's enough."

Grant cast a quick glance at me, his eyes were bright. "How could you live with her when you can't trust yourself after shifting? What if you hurt her?"