One

@Patricia Jones's gaze swept across the bus, trying to spot any cast members from the Newsies Broadway cast. She'd heard that some of the performers rode this vehicle to the Chicago theater. Just as she was about to give up her search and choose a seat, her eyes fixed on a female seated at the back of the bus. Patricia recognized her from her head shot she saw hanging in the audition room a few months prior. Her name was Amelia Maxwell, a French ballet dancer who's the role of Smalls, the only female newsie.

A twinge of hesitation came over her before Patricia finally sauntered over to Amelia. "Hello," she said cheerfully. "I'm Patricia Jones - Katherine Plummer in the touring Newsies production? Aren't you Smalls?"

"Aren't I what?" Amelia asked, a light French accent tinting her words. She looked behind her to see Patricia - she remembered her without the introduction. She smiled and said,
"Won't you sit down?"

"Smalls?" Patricia repeated, hoping she hadn't mistaken her for someone else. "In the Broadway show?" She occupied the plastic seat next to Amelia, placing her bag against her feet.

"Yes, and you play Katherine." She smiled again. "And you do very well; trés bien!" She paused a moment before adding,
"In French, that means 'very good'."

Patricia laughed as the bus jolted forward, driving down the chaotic Chicago street. "I heard you were a ballet dancer?" Her eyes skimmed across a passing Newsies billboard. She couldn't help but smile.

"Yes, all my life - that is until I decided I wanted to be an actress... on the stage. So I quit. I went looking for jobs, and I discovered theater, you know, with the singing - like this. I found I could sing - decently." She giggled. "What brought you to the business?" she asked casually.

Patricia paused, thinking of her past inspiration. "Well," she began at length; "my mother was a performer at a local theater in Pennsylvania, so when I was born she taught me everything she learned. My grandmother gave me singing tips - she was in a competitive choir when she was younger."

"Ah, I see - it runs in the family," she said. "My parents were a dancing pair." she smiled. "In Paris, you could say they were very well known." Her smile faded as she said,
"Anyway, I suppose there's no use in talking about our past. We're almost there, I think."

Patricia's eyes averted to a vast building in front of them as the bus slowed to a lurching halt. An excited feeling bubbled inside of her, mixed with a hint of fear. Standing up, she turned to Amelia and said, "By the way, you can call me Pat."