Chapter 1: Ramiel

Ramiel could not see anything except a vast dark space. The darkness was pitch black as he attempted to regain consciousness and strength. His limbs were heavy and limp, lying to his sides. He could only hear his strong heartbeat, which permeated throughout the space he lay in.

       Finally, after much struggle, he managed to open his eyes to a squint. Dim light stung his eyes, causing him to shield them for a brief moment. Once adjusted, Ramiel opened them wider and observed his surroundings.

       A forest. The place he was lying in was a forest. Green vegetation surrounded him. Large hundred years old trees were evenly spaced out and little rodents scurried around them finding food for the fast approaching winter. Birds flew quickly in the air, chirping in panic. Ramiel soon realized why as he heard thunder rumble across the sky, creating an intimidating BOOM noise that seeped through the atmosphere.

       Earth’s atmosphere, he realized as he drew a deep breath. I’m on Earth.

       Ramiel stood up in shock. Earth. How can I be on Earth? The sky once more roared. With a jolt, he stared at the vast space above him, disbelief and betrayal infused on his face. I…no. Ramiel collapsed onto his knees, speechless. His thoughts were muddled and his heart raced from being so easily deceived.

       Ramiel stood there for a while, just thinking. He thought of what could have gotten him into this situation and wondered where, in all that is holy, could he possibly be on this large planet. Multiple names of possible places popped up in his head: Paris, China, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Italy, England, Greenland, Iceland, so many different places on a planet of this magnitude and he didn’t have a clue where he was or what forest he woke up in.

       “Get a hold on yourself, Ramiel. You are strong. You will get through this. Just use your mind,” he pleaded with himself aloud with only the forest creatures to hear. “I can’t be in Greenland. That would be way too cold and according to the air, it has to be mid-autumn.” He continued rambling for quite some time before falling silent.

       A small blue bird landed on a mossy log beside him. Ramiel looked at it morosely, jealous of its freedom of the flight. He used to be like the bird. He used to be free. He used to be able to do anything he desired. But now he was bound to this land and vulnerable to the dangers that come along with it. Ramiel could not fathom the reason for the exile, but he was determined to figure it out.

       Once the blue bird flew away chirping, Ramiel had an idea. “Perhaps,” he said doubtfully to himself in a soft tone, “Perhaps He is testing me. Perhaps my true fate is here on Earth and if I find it, I can go back home.” Home. Although Earth was a brilliant planet, nothing compared to Ramiel’s home. “If I conquer this dilemma, if I pass the test, they would welcome me back with open arms.” The more he spoke, the more his theory made sense to him. It was all clear to him, now. He was on a mission, one he would complete with all his heart.

       Ramiel sat there, pondering what this mission of his might be, when the forest went silent. The chirping stopped, the scurrying stopped, and the wind and thunder in the distance came to a complete halt. Dead silence.

       Ramiel paused mid-thought and glanced around warily.

       A shrill shriek resonated throughout the forest, shattering the silence. Birds flew out of the trees, frightened by the sudden noise. The trees’ leaves rustled in agitation, as if irritated by the scream.

       Ramiel froze and listened for a moment. Once again, a screech in the distance reverberated through the forest and he was on his feet, sprinting towards the high-pitched cry. Finally, after what seemed like hours of running, the trees began to thin out and he reached a clearing.