2. Sanctuary

He stepped out of the darkness and started making his way towards the staircase. "Enid, is that you?" He laughed, not speaking to Simon any more, but to me only.

He started down the steps toward Simon and I. A million questions were going through my mind, but not any that I could focus on any at the moment. I was too busy watching him.

A large smile formed on his face. "I don't fucking believe it," he said.

His booming voice didn't sit well with me. It made my heart stir. It echoed against the walls of the large room and felt so out of place. So wrong. I wasn't used to anyone being completely unconcerned about the volume of their voice. Was caution not a thing in here anymore?

He sighed loudly as he walked. "Thank you Simon. I'll take her."

Simon gave a hesitant nod. "Uh, sure," he said, then immediately left the room without looking back. It was just the two of us now. Instead of looking at him, I turned to watch Simon leave.

When he was gone, I didn't know what to do with myself.

"Enid," he said my name again in greeting, again way too loud for my liking as he was walking. He was way too jovial. I finally turned back around to face him and just stared at him as he continued heading over. What should have felt like seconds, felt like hours as the distance between us finally got smaller. No words came out of my mouth just yet. I was so confused. He was the ruthless and vicious leader they were talking about. The one who would bash my head in if I disobeyed. What the hell was going on?

He had a broad grin on his face and there was agleam in his eyes that made me uneasy. I was still wondering what he was going to say to me after so long.

Finally he was in front of me. Close enough for me to touch.

"What, you don't speak anymore?" He asked. "Don't tell me you've gone quiet on me," he said.

My eyes bore daggers at him. Fuck you... that's the only thing what I wanted to say to him. After the confusion wore off...the "hows" and the "whys", I realized he was the same man I knew... The same asshole. I wasn't confused anymore, just pissed...but I kept quiet.

He looked me up and down, warily. "I'd hug you, but you look fucking disgusting," he told me.

Silence.

He just continued anyway. "But still very much alive and kicking I see," he laughed. "I can't say I'm surprised. I always knew you were one tough chick."

I still didn't respond, but he didn't seem to mind.

"Enid, welcome to The Sanctuary," he told me.

***

"Hey, It's Enid, right?"

Enid stopped and looked at the man before her who was wearing a plaid shirt and dark jeans. Enid watched him as he crossed from the other side of the street when he saw her and she was immediately taken aback.

"Um...yeah," She stopped and answered without thinking. He knew her face. She knew that much.

"You know who I am, right?" He asked. His voice was deep and gravelly...but somewhat familiar.

"No," she shook her head. Was she supposed to? She was sure if she did, she would remember someone like him. Awkwardly, she held on tightly to her backstraps in case she needed to run.

"I'm a friend of your mother," he told her calmly.

Enid just stood there. What was she supposed to say to that?