Prologue

All would have been fine if it weren't for Nick. He was a first time reporter and got everything from gossip to the truth from suspects, and him a little brat he was lived right above me. Said to be on task and dependable, Nick Sholdner I will admit was a very handsome man, but he was annoying, self-centered, stone headed, arrogant bastard.   

   He was just like Rick Gibson. A bother, but one likes his job more than the other does and Rick was a famous reporter while Nick was not. Many journalist and publishing company's wanted them, the duo were amazing together, but to me they were just a stuck up pair who enjoy messing with me and forcing me to edit and re-read their stupid reports. Now one might wonder who is the narrator of this story, it's me Victor Black or Silias from my middle name as some may call me and my dog Priscilla Black. She sits on her dog bed staring out the study window as I work. She was all black with a gray underbelly and muzzle. I was a famous author and wrote several books like the Trick Maiden, a love story or The Black Mortal a religious, mystery and murder. That one still sells pretty well and well many began to question my beliefs, thus an interview was made and that was the only time I asked Nick and Rick to do it since A: they lived above me and B: so they would shut up for a month, thus those two worked day and night and were able to debunk my religious battle and I was able to complete my work in peace.  

     I loved to work in a low-light setting which was provided in my study, which happened to be one of the eleven rooms of my loft complete with 5 bedrooms, kitchen/bar, office/study,3 full baths, living room and dining room. Priscilla of course the loyal dog I owned and loved was complete goofball when I first got her. She was clumsy and wild when she got here running around all over the place. She almost destroyed my designer mask collection as she ran straight into it though I probably shouldn't ramble on about my dog otherwise this would become a very boring topic. so deciding we've been coped up enough for the day I thought I could take Priscilla on a walk at times square my least favorite spot, Priscilla's too. Of course we always head to the bookstore to do a signing or should I say my doom.   

          People would swarm and ask me all these damn questions. So I would put on my best game face and go sign, print smile and hug everyone so that they can go away and leave me alone but, not today no bookstore mayhem. Today I was going to Maya's cafe, or should I say Deluder's Pub, a place just under the cafe that was open only to reservations, rich people and criminals. Of course though I was an exception since I rarely even drink anyway, plus I could be here un-noticed by the public. So as I go downstairs I prepare myself through knowing I will have to drink either a disgusting or a kill- me-not drink.   

   It was the price  I paid to be here " hello Duke, I see sales are good "  I greet as I close the door behind me a tall well built figure with a bedhead of brunette hair looked up from cleaning glasses " oh hello Victor ready to try my newest cocktail? " he asked already preparing a glass for me, " what's in this one? " I asked curious this time sitting down on a bar stool. " Vodka, Red wine from California and Moonshine " he replied, I groaned I hated Moonshine more than anything, ' so Victor how's that book going? " he asked pouring my demise in the glass he cleaned. I really, really, hated moonshine " it's going fine. just have to end the book, come up with a title and so on." I was getting really nervous " tell me about the first chapter "he said sliding the glass towards me, " oh but wait, you have a ton of fans in tonight so let's get you a happy crowd eh? " said duke going around filling drinks. 

   I got out the book plans, it was already done I just needed a title and a flawless killer, but of course he was always hidden and me always sitting with criminals and terrorist ended up writing a book about dead people who die on set dates and a few terrorist attacks but who cares? they made it so I wrote it. No big deal. A few weeks later it was published under the title : We're closer than you think, which I'll admit was better than Frozen screams, besides it was nowhere near winter it was spring actually.  

    But I would soon learn than my careless-ness would get me in more trouble than I bargained for...