Chapter Three: Losing Face

And you couldn't see,

The wood from the tree

You're eyes are unkind,

So don't look at me.

And all that you know,

Is written in stone.

One by One

I suffer you badly,

One by One

You're all I don't need

Unkle Bob – One by One

The break room was bursting with energy as I stepped inside, yawning, as I tied my hair back into a sleek pony tail. Horatio was flicking through channels on the T.V as Eric made coffee in the machine. Its scent was heavenly. Calleigh was sitting down flicking through a magazine as Speedle knocked back his bottle of water.

"Who was keeping you awake last night?" Eric grinned at me as I rubbed my hands on my face, grabbing a can of coke out of the fridge to give me a caffeine boost.

"They were cardboard boxes, I lost track of time unpacking and forgot to set the alarm this morning." I groaned, peering over Eric's shoulder as he stirred the strong black coffee.

"That smells fantastic." Calleigh said as Eric drifted past her towards Horatio, the scent of the coffee following.

"It'll rot your stomach." Tim remarked, moving towards the sink to refill his bottle.

"Just like that shirt will burn out your eyes." I chimed, causing Delko and Calleigh to snigger.

Tim tilted his head towards me with a look of severe distain.

"I happen to dress against the social norms of modern society." Tim informed me, turning his attention back to his water bottle.

"You look like a cross between a homeless guy and a tourist." I told him, before sipping my can.

"Isn't someone full of witty one liners this morning?" Tim sniped before turning his full attention to me.

"That's what I was really doing last night, coming up with these little gems to throw at unsuspecting criminalists." I retorted with a bright smile.

Tim rolled his eyes before dropping into a seat at the table.

I moved towards Horatio and Eric frowning at the sight of the TV.

"It's on every channel." Horatio murmured, as we watched the live news footage of the Bomb Squad pulling up in Coconut Grove.

"Bombers in Miami, no wonder the media are going nuts." I responded, folding my arms over my chest, can still clenched in one hand.

"You wanna go for a ride?" I turned my head to Horatio surprised.

"Yea sure. I'll grab my kit and then meet you by the Hummer." I told him before draining my can of coke and rushing out of the door.

"I didn't know they made body armour in Triple Extra Large." Horatio grinned at the older dark skinned man across from him as he spoke.

"They make jockstraps in it too but you wouldn't know anything about that either." The other man beamed before stepping up to Horatio and embracing him tightly.

I let out a surprised snigger at his words as they pulled away.

"You liked that one huh?" The broad shouldered man's eyes were on me, twinkling with humour.