Awkward vibes

A few days had passed since the day of the beach outing, but very few words had been exchanged between Connie and Jacob since.
The more time that passed, the more Jacob thought about leaving.
He couldn't push the thoughts away, no matter how hard he tried to suppress them, they lingered at the back of his mind every day.

"I won't be back until 11 tonight." Jacob told Connie as he screwed on the lid of his flask, which he had just poured coffee into, ready for work.

Connie sipped at her own coffee, sat at the table, watching him from behind.
He was leaving early again today. He wasn't even eating breakfast at home again today, taking it with him instead.

"I didn't think you were doing any late shifts this week." Connie said quietly.
Jacob placed the flask carefully in his bag and shrugged casually.
"I offered to cover Charlie's shift tonight." He said as he swung the bag over his shoulder and turned around.
Connie nodded and gave a small smile.
Jacob paused, opening his mouth ready to say something, but anything he considered to say refused to form into words, so after a moment of awkward silence between the two, he simply gave a quick smile and began to head for the door.
"See you later." He said, as he passed Connie on his way out.

"See you later." Connie repeated after hearing the front door shut behind him a moment later.