Chapter Seven - Version 7.0 - One chance.

Climbing

"When?"

"In three weeks."

"Is it enough?"

"Huh... we have already an almost working app; we have a good story to tell, Elle is improving her speech. I think we are almost ready, Anna."

"I've heard two 'almost', Emma."

"Well, we still need to finish some stuff, Anna."

"Do we have time for this?"

"Yes, if we really want it."

"Okay, we're in!"

Few days ago, Emma has found out a new competition. Not at a college anymore, this one is a state tournament. Of course it is important. Those contests are a chance to show up in the start-up scene. It enables entrepreneurs to introduce their products and companies to possible investors – the angel investors. They are called like that because they act like angels to the start-ups: these people (or groups) bring money, knowledge, experiences, and network contacts. I could not say which one of these is the most important; it depends on what stage your company is. In the case of my girls in this story, I could say they need all of them.

"Did Ellen finish the app already?" wants to know Anna.

"Yes, I think she did. The most part, at least." answers Emma.

"Did she test it?"

"Oh, I couldn't say that, I have to ask her."

"Okay, let me text her. Did you call the girls?"

"Not yet, but I'll call them."

"Fine, tell them we have a meeting on next Saturday, morning, seven o'clock. I'll call Lily."

"So, huh... early?"

"We're in a hurry, Emma! Three weeks go by too fast! And we have the weekends only, because we have our jobs."

The girls have much work before the contest named "Entrepreneurs in the House: Meet Innovation, Creativity and Smart People" – I do not know who is creating those names. Elle have to practice her speech: telling the app's story, presenting the company and the team, answering questions. Hailee has to explain the design, if it is necessary. In most of these contests, the team has only a few minutes to tell the whole story. Emma, of course, will explain marketing strategies – these are very important to investors. Lily has to tell about money and numbers, and how they expect to get money in this business. Anna will say how they are organized as a team; what they are planning, and schedules. Finally and very importantly, if they have time, Ellen will explain code. Not variables and constants, but how they build the app: programming language, available systems on release, and so on. The most probable is only Elle and Anna will speak. As I said, they will have a few minutes, and the other girls will answer only if someone in the audience asks. In any event, all of them must be prepared.

"Can we have brochures, Anna? Please, please!"

"Lily?"

"Huh... what will you put in these brochures, Hailee?"

"I don't know! This is the problem number two!"

"So forget it for now, Hailee; let's focus on the presentation, okay?"

"Aw..." Hailee does a pout.

Ellen has to finish the app. It is a hard job because she is alone, but the code girl can handle that. Anna is managing the team. They work at home, because no one have time for meetings during the week – the girls have jobs, college, homework, and lives. On Saturday, the Dad's Home Team can talk about the details. For now, they talk through the internet, telephone, instant messengers or even smoke signals – what they have in hands.