ch. 2

[ C h . 2 ]

[ [ s o n g  o f  t h e  c h a p t e r : t h e   b l a c k e s t   s k y   b y   b l a c k   e l k  ] ]

__

Exiting the school gates after school, I was met with the constant chants of protesters who had nothing better to do than spout nonsense in front of our school.

There are rumors circulating in the media that our school is harboring both supers and villains. Of course, this is true but they have no solid evidence.

Regardless of actual evidence, many citizens have taken it upon themselves to protest our integration.

Some of them have been out here since I was a freshman. Like Jim. It's become our thing to talk to each other every time I am leaving school. Today he was wearing a shirt that said, Villains are the Worst. There was no pun or anything, just the statement that villains are the worst.

I guess he just wants the world to know how he feels without beating around the bush.

"Hey Jim, how's it going?"

He glared back at me.

What a fulfilling conversation.

"So, I guess you've been waiting out here to tell me that villains are the worst?"

He glared.

"Can I tell you why I don't think all villains are the worst?"

He continued to glare.

"Because if all villains were the worst then are any villains really the worst? That's like saying all supers are the best."

"But all supers are the best." I don't think he's blinked throughout this whole encounter.

"But if all supers were the best then really none of them are because essentially, they are all on the same level."

We stared at each other for a moment before I raised a hand to my head in a fist and spreading my fingers like an explosion. "Mind-blown."

"You're saying these things because you are a villain."

"Maybe I am-"

"You are."

"-Maybe I'm not." My parents take on that title and that's fine by me but I choose not to. It's too... permanent for me. I feel as if once you take on that name, that's it. You can't take it away from your image. And the burden of that name is too heavy for me to take on right now. "What makes you so certain?"

"Just a hunch," he grunted, holding his sign higher. I smirked.

"We'll see how far that hunch gets you in life Jimmy boy," I turned around to look at my high school. "Seems like it's already taking you to bigger and better places! Toodles."

I left him with an infuriating smile plastered on my face and waved as I shoved past him and his group of vocal activists.

I dropped my smile once a rounded the corner with a sigh. What a group of Debby downers.

__

"Okay, everyone listen up!" I waved around my meter stick, felling powerful with it in my hand.

"This is a top secret, "Las Vegas rule" kind of operation so if any of this gets out to the public, I will have your heads! Is that understood?" I paused, waiting for a confirmation.

Luna barked once from her position on my bed, wagging her tail on my bed.

I smiled proudly. "Thank you Luna. I have now promoted you to executive director of this operation, seeing as you seem to be the only one willing to talk." I glared at my stuffed giraffe and monkey, shaking my head.