k o n n i c h i w a

The Survey Corps returned from their expedition to the headquarters. Levi was riding alongside Erwin, his face as stoic as always, but his heart felt otherwise. His "family", which consisted of Farlan Church and Isabel Magnolia, had died during the expedition, and he had attempted to kill Erwin as part of his given mission but failed. He had no idea what was going to happen to him. He would most probably get executed, but he did not seem to mind. He felt it would be better off for him to die than remain in the Survey Corps. After all, the only reason he agreed to be part of it was to complete his given mission.

After reaching the stables at the HQ, the soldiers got off their horses and laid all the bodies straight along the grass. They had to check all the corpses before informing thw next-of-kin then burning it together with the other corpses. Some soldiers were unwrapping the bloodstained cloth used to wrap the bodies as some carried checkboards to record the names of the deceased.

Erwin was standing there, keeping the orders in check, when a blond soldier made his way up to the man.

"Erwin," the soldier said as he reached the blonde, "I found a particular body you might want to see."

"And may I know who it is?" Erwin inquired.

"It's... it's the Commander," the soldier replied.

There was a slight flicker in those cerulean orbs of Erwin's, before he gave a curt nod of the head and said, "You may go now. Remember to report this to Zackly."

"Yes, sir," the man gave a salute before walking off.

Erwin knew what he had to do. As the next Commander in line, he had to do this.

"Everyone!" Erwin said in the loudest voice that made everyone stand at attention and stop whatever they were doing, "The Commander, unfortunately for him, he... he died in battle."

There were hushed whispers being passed around the crowd. Everyone was whispering, except for a certain ravenette keeping a stoic demanor.

"So!" Erwin started up again, "Since he has left me as the next in line, I shall be the next Commander!"

"Sir!" the soldiers said and saluted.

"I will be appointing a new commander-in-line, as well as a corporal to assist me," Erwin continued.

Corporal? When did a corporal come into the picture? There had never been a corporal to assist the commander before.

"Hanji Zoe," he called out.

"Sir!" the brunette said and saluted.

"You shall be the new commander in line," he said, before continuing after a slight pause, "Levi Ackerman!"

The soldiers gave each other questioning looks. Levi?

He was that thug from the Underground, along with Isabel and Farlan, was he not?

The man in statement saluted while giving an expressionless face.

"You shall be the corporal," Erwin said.

"Sir," was all Levi said.

"Don't abuse your power, you hear me?" Erwin said.

"Yes, sir!" the two said before saluting.

***

"Levi!" Hanji said in a singsong voice as she skipped towards the short man gaily, "How does it feel like now that you've gained Erwin's trust?"

Levi just clicked his tongue in response.

Hanji glanced down at him and placed her hands on her hips as Levi folded his arms and glared at her.