Lil' Lucy

"You're lucky I'm tired because if I was fully awake I would've already shoved you off this roof."

"That's a lie and you know it," Lucy laughed and gently slapped her best friend's shoulder, "you can't get rid of me that easily."

Lauren smiled, "I don't think I really want to." she said under her breath as she stared at Lucy as the moon illuminated her face.

Next week will mark 10 years. Ten years of friendship and five years of Lauren's unrequited feelings for her best friend. She spent all of her high school career falling for Lucy who is currently still oblivious to her best friend's feelings. Year after year, Lucy would always wonder why her beautiful best friend rejected every person that asked her out. She would ask the green eyed girl if she was interested in anyone and she would always respond with a simple "no" or shrug. Lucy even went out of her way their senior year to get Lauren a date for their final prom. Sure, one can argue that the date was a great gentleman but, Lauren kept her eyes on a certain brown eyed brunette the entire night.

"Can you believe it? We're finally twenty and here we are, sitting on your roof just like the old days." Lucy said in awe as she looked down and brushed her fingers over the two 'L's' carved into the wooden roof. "It feels like we're 11, again."

"Yeah, sometimes I have a hard time believing that we're actually adults. I mean look at us," Lauren gestured to the bags of chips, candy, and assorted party favors that they picked up from the dollar store, "We're a mess."

The older girl laughed and grabbed a lollipop, "Well I'm glad we decided to lolliPOP over to the store to pick these up."

"If I end up strangling you to death one day and show a jury every pun you've ever told me, they wouldn't convict me." Lucy nudged Lauren, giggling.

"Oh, shut up. Let's head inside, it's getting kind of chilly out here." Lucy slowly slid off of the roof and onto Lauren's balcony. Lauren on the other hand wasn't nearly as graceful and got her foot stuck in a small garbage bin.

"Uh, Lucy?" The green eyed girl struggled to get her foot out of the compact bin, "Can you help me out a bit?" But when Lucy turned around, she immediately burst out laughing, "Stop laughing and help me out of the trash can. I think my foot is stuck in a coffee cup."

After a minute or two, Lucy finally calmed down enough to get Lauren out of the bin. The two of them fell onto Lauren's old bed talking about everything and nothing at the same time. This was part of the routine for them. Hours would pass without either of them noticing until eventually one of them had to leave.

"Alright, I think we've talked about aliens enough for one night, don't ya think?" Lucy sat up and yawned looking at the clock.

"You're not staying tonight?" Lauren tired to hide the disappointment in her voice, not that Lucy would notice.

"I have a morning shift over at Dunkin tomorrow," Lucy looked over and noticed the slight disappointment on Lauren's face, "but, I'm free next week for our friendaversary and we'll be able to turn up all week, right?"

Lauren laughed and nodded, "Yeah, get some rest and get home safe, okay?"

"Okay, mom."

"Shut up, dork."

"I'll see ya later, goodnight." Lucy smacked Lauren's butt before grabbing her stuff and heading out.

"Goodnight," Lauren called after her.

Once she heard the door close Lauren reached under her bed to grab a small worn down box. She waited a few minutes before she opened it just incase Lucy came back. A shy smile made its way to her lips as she looked at contents of the box. Inside was a small plushy made out of old socks, brown buttons, and brown yarn for hair. It has been a while since Lauren saw the little handmade plushy since she was busy with college and decided against bringing it with her since Lucy shared a dorm with her. She refused to even give Lucy a chance at finding her little secret so she left it here.