Chapter 1

I wake up to the sound of my alarm. I hate that thing so much, but I keep forgetting to change it. I roll over, groan and slam the button. I open my eyes to check the time: 6:30. Too early. I'm always late so what's the point of surprising everyone by showing up early? Nobody truly cares so why should I? I smile at my thoughts and drift off to sleep.

When I finally decide to get up, it's 8:13. School's already started and I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss my first two classes. I hate them all anyway. I make my way down the hall and shower and get ready for school.

Upon stepping into the living room, I'm not surprised to see my "mother" passed out on the couch with an unidentifiable bottle in her hand. The only thing that makes her even remotely like a mother is the fact that she pays the bills and sort of keeps necessities in the house. The rest of the money goes to The Bethanny Marks' Alcohol Foundation. Even the money my mystery dad sends. Apparently he's rich but yet here I am struggling to find a new bar of soap. I've learned to manage though. Trin is one of the reasons I can.

Trinity Matthews is my best friend even though we're complete opposites. She was new in ninth grade and didn't know me but somehow felt like we could be friends. Of course I initially pushed her away, but she kept coming back. Eventually I gave in and we became friends. Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if we weren't friends, but I already know the answer. A nightmare. The year she came was the year I decided that the only way I could really survive was by stealing. She caught me one day and I felt so embarrassed. I decided that day she was trustworthy enough to know my situation. Even though she has a perfect family, she understood me. From that day, she gave me the things my mom never cared to give me. She shared her vast amount of beautiful and expensive clothing with me and sent me groceries. Trin never asked me once to repay her. She's a true friend. Sometimes a total pain, but a true friend.

I go into the kitchen and get my usual breakfast: toast and orange juice. I keep it simple in the morning. Once I'm done, I pick up my bag and keys. I stop at the couch and think of telling my mom "goodbye" or "I love you" like how everyone else does, but as the thought comes I quickly shake it off. I guess it's okay to wish for normal sometimes. Even for a second.

I walk out the house, down the driveway and enter my car. It's the only thing "dad" has ever gotten me. It's further proof that the man has money. When I got it last month for my birthday, it was a brand new white Lexus. Even though I have it, I can hardly drive it. No gas money. However, every once in a while Bethanny gives me a little change to put gas in my car. Today is probably the last day I can drive it until further notice.

I start the car and prepare myself for the day and put on the face of Caroline that everyone knows. I speed down the corner and all the way to school.