Sitting On A Wire

The Beginning

My heart hammered inside of my small pale chest; pounding through my frail veins. My bright green eyes danced around my surroundings. My feet stumbling beneath me. My fingers were so tightly wound around my books that my knuckles were turning white.

The hallways were mute. Filled with complete and utter silence. Cold musty air wrapped its tender hands around my body. Chilling me to the bone. My eyes searched the walls hungrily, desperately looking for my class.

12,14,16,18….

Eighteen, that was it. That was the class. My heart stopped pounding, my blood went cold. I was hyperventilating. How was I going to get through this day? Where would I go? Who would I meet? What will people think about me? The schedule twisted around the school, my classes zigzagging across the hallways.

I had to stop I had to quit. I couldn’t do this. So I collected myself. I shoved all of my negative thoughts in the back of my head, shifting my binder and books over to my left side so I could grip the cold metal door knob. The door was heavier than I thought. I flexed my muscles and swung the door open, taking my left foot out as it flew open. My whole body fell flat on the cold tile floor. My books splattered everywhere. The class room emerged in laughter. Tears gathered in my eyes, spilling on the floor like the rest of my body. My brown hair fell around me.

I pulled my body up and took all of my books inside of my arms; I pushed my head up only to see that another face was meeting mine. It was a boys, he had sparkling blue eyes, and blonde hair. His little baby face was pulled into a concerned frown. His hands were frantically gathering all of my papers and stacking them on top of each other. His mouth was moving but I didn’t even catch what he was saying until he was halfway through his sentence.

“…what’s yours?” He finished.

“Huh?” I replied through sniffles. His lips curled into a smile revealing a set of pure white teeth perfectly lined up.

“I said my name is Leo, what’s yours?”

“Um…It’s….its Autumn. Sorry, first day jitters.”

He smiled again and stacked all of my books and papers in top of one another. I wiped my tears away, collecting my things and my pride.

He held his hand out, offering to help again. I placed the small hand in his. He pulled me up, smiled one more time and went to sit down.

I slowly walked to the teacher’s desk, making sure to not trip on anything on the way.

It was a man maybe in his late forties, he was bald, very fat, and he smelled like cabbage. He had fat sausage fingers, a big squash nose, and the best part he was drooling.

I slammed my pass on his desk in attempt to wake him up but no such luck came to me. I turned on the balls of my feet to face the class. Most of them had stopped laughing except for one group of girls that sat in the back. All blondes, with pink lipstick, coach purses, curled hair, and big fake boobs that their daddies bought them.

I glared at them and walked to the only open desk that was in the middle. To my left there was some red head nerd with terrible acne and an extremely runny nose. But to my right there was a dashing brunette, he had the clear blue eyes that hid under a fringe of thick long eye lashes. Two dimples appeared on his face when he smiled, which he was doing right now. I turned my head to see who he was laughing with and I saw, it was the blondes. Great just my luck.

Leaning back in my chair I began to read my book, losing myself in its pages. It amazed me how so many little words could collide into one big one.